archive-org.com » ORG » A » APDAWEB.ORG

Total: 951

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • APDAWeb - About
    league CAN ADL the Canadian American Debate League to ensure deconfliction of schedules and to build off of CUSID s existing infrastructure This approach also followed the 800 pound gorilla theory However the level of control desired by CUSID and a strong anti internationalist sentiment from some U S schools rendered CAN ADL a nonstarter Other more domestic approaches had become bogged down in the sort of small organization politics familiar to school boards and church auxiliaries Somewhere north of Tarbet chugging up the Cairngorms the answer appeared Informed by politics illuminated by the mantic arts guided by principles of high energy physics and evolved from more than a few too many pints at the Glasgow Union the solution derived its simplicity from classical economics Assume a league At the next U S tournament fading memory suggests it may have been Yale the organizational meeting of the American Parliamentary Debate Association was announced No formalities no consultations just would each school send one representative to vote for the league s officers and to submit a requested date for their 1981 82 season tournament And they did The schools complied without fuss or bother David Martland was elected the first president of APDA J J Gertler the vice president for operations and Phil Sisson of Rhode Island College VP for finance APDA was centered around a basic philosophy It existed to facilitate debate not to shape it APDA would not make debating rules each tournament would retain its own quirks and rules APDA would create a ballot to reflect the realities of American parliamentary debate most schools used either CUSID ballots or modified on topic ones but no school had to use the APDA ballot Beyond creating the ballot APDA would Deconflict tournament dates Act as liaison with other national and international debating organizations Attempt to raise funds to support parliamentary debate tournaments and Organize and sanction a national championship tournament While the 1981 University of Chicago tournament won by Amherst was the first to receive APDA sanction as Nationals the first standalone APDA Nationals won by Princeton were at Swarthmore in 1982 and the first U S hosted Worlds at Princeton in 1983 Since that time as we understand it APDA has grown tremendously Some of the principles have changed as has parliamentary debate None of us in that Ford can claim to have foreseen all of it But we re sure glad it worked Note 1 The amazing late 70s early 80s generation of CUSID debaters is still called the dinosaurs north of the border This was a group of twenty or so world class debaters who appeared on the CUSID circuit at roughly the same time and who indeed are still a close knit community today The Dinosaurs name came due to a their long careers CUSID rules allowed graduate students and even not really very much students to debate long before the U S did b their astonishing gravity these folks really did redefine parliamentary debate for

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/about/history (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive

  • APDAWeb - About
    2014 2015 APDA Board President David Israel VP Operations Taylor Blackburn VP Finance Nate Rifkin Members at Large Aaron Murphy Nathaniel Donahue Priyanha Nadanasabesan 04 25 2013 Be on the lookout for APDA Committee applications They will be posted towards the end of May We encourage everyone to apply 03 22 2013 Congratulations to the 2013 2014 APDA Board President Josh Zoffer VP Operations Ashley Novak VP Finance David Israel

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/about/bylaws (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive

  • APDAWeb - About
    B Luftglass 2 Old Scots Road Marlboro NJ 07746 current Outside Trustee current Outside Trustee SEVENTH The President Vice President for Operations Vice President for Finance and three Members at Large shall be elected by the members and shall be ex officio members of the Board of Trustees with full voting rights and shall retain such board membership during the term of their office EIGHTH The Corporation hereby designates the Secretary of State of the State of New York as agent of the Corporation upon whom process against it may be served The post office address without the State of New York to which the Secretary of State shall mail a copy of any process against the Corporation which is served upon him is One Whig Hall Princeton University Princeton New Jersey 08544 NINTH The Corporation shall have one class of members Each member shall have one vote TENTH Whenever under the provision of law the Certificate of Incorporation or these Bylaws members are required or permitted to take any action by vote such action may be taken without a meeting by written consent setting forth the action so taken signed two thirds of the members entitled to vote thereon Written consent thus given by two thirds of the members entitled to vote shall have the same effects as a two thirds vote of the members ELEVENTH No part of the net earnings of the Corporation shall inure to the benefit of or be distributable to any member trustee or officer of the Corporation or any private person except that the Corporation shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered to or for the Corporation and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article Third hereof No substantial part of the activities of the Corporation shall be the carrying on of propaganda or otherwise attempting to influence legislation except as otherwise permitted by 501 h of the Code in any corresponding laws of the State of New York and the Corporation shall not participate in or intervene in including the publishing or distribution of statements concerning any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office During such period or periods of time as the Corporation is treated as a private foundation pursuant to 509 of the Code the trustees must distribute the Corporations income at such time and in such manner so as not to subject the Corporation to tax under 4944 of the Code and the Corporation is prohibited from engaging in any act of self dealing as defined in 4943 c of the Code from retaining any excess business holdings as defined by 4943 c of the Code which would subject the Corporation to tax under 4944 of the Code from making any investments of otherwise acquiring assets in such manner so as to subject the Corporation to tax under 4944 of the Code from retaining any assets which would subject the

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/about/incorporation (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive

  • APDAWeb - About
    by the board may allow for variance from this formula In these situations the highest level of precaution must be taken to maintain a fair and objective selection process The announcement of a competitive year s EOFs will take place at Novice or immediately thereafter and will include a designation of one of the EOFs as EOF Secretary If an incident occurs before the appointment of that year s EOFs it may be brought to the attention of an EOF from the previous competitive year who still intends to be active on the APDA circuit Roles and Responsibilities The role of an EOF has traditionally been viewed as a fundamentally reactive position In this regard the EOF should be available and accessible at all times to all members of the community The EOF should be a referrer a resource a giver of agency a sounding board and an empathizer An EOF will seek to resolve issues using the standards set forth in the EOF guidelines written by John Dolan and available on the APDA web page or upon request to the APDA board Additionally the EOFs will receive supplemental training specifically tailored to the potential needs of the APDA body Supplemental training will be coordinated by the APDA Member at Large and the EOF secretary soon after the Novice Tournament The program needs the ability to take some proactive steps in addition to simply reacting to complaints The compilation and distribution of a Crisis Response Booklet and the potential holding of forums at unopposed tournaments are examples of such steps In order to maintain confidence in the program as well as prevent any overstepping of the program s boundaries any proactive steps desired by the EOF program must first be cleared with the APDA board The EOF Secretary will approach the Member at Large liaison with the measure in question and await board approval before proceeding with the proactive measure In the event that the board decides the action is inappropriate the EOF Secretary will inform the other EOFs that they are not to proceed with the action Having already been approved by the board the Crisis Response Booklet should be updated yearly by the EOF team as a whole the EOF Secretary will oversee the process and compile a new booklet each semester The EOF should remember that the sphere of confidentiality extends to and ends with the other EOFs and the end year report to the APDA board and body Seeking help and feedback with other EOFs is desirable To this end an EOF should plan to meet with the other EOFs at every tournament that the APDA board has an APDA meeting In these meetings the EOFs should discuss any incidences that they have dealt with and seek feedback about the techniques used However the EOF should strictly avoid any discussion of harassment issues with non EOFs Ideally an EOF would never make mistakes Nevertheless we are all human The key to being an EOF is getting

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/about/eof (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive

  • APDAWeb - About
    Board President David Israel VP Operations Taylor Blackburn VP Finance Nate Rifkin Members at Large Aaron Murphy Nathaniel Donahue Priyanha Nadanasabesan 04 25 2013 Be on the lookout for APDA Committee applications They will be posted towards the end of May We encourage everyone to apply 03 22 2013 Congratulations to the 2013 2014 APDA Board President Josh Zoffer VP Operations Ashley Novak VP Finance David Israel Members at Large

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/about/facilitators (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive

  • APDAWeb - About
    meetings in the past and that won t change if given a position of responsibility at these meetings I ll also post results in a timely fashion after each tournament Additionally I would be responsible for organizing the committee that selects the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award In my time on APDA I ve made an effort to get to know as many people from as many regions as possible so it would be easy to transform these associations into working relationships that will select the most deserving recipient of this award Beyond the more formal duties of VP Ops I m also interested in changing APDA for the better Expansion is the only topic I m able to speak with any degree of expertise on and I believe that the best strategy is to cast a wide net be as available as possible to new colleges that want to join and constantly check in on new teams to see how they re adjusting I ll be sure to recommend expansion coordinators who are willing to work that closely with teams Beyond this I think while APDA is far from perfect it has seen tremendous progress when it comes to making the league a safer and more equitable place I believe the way that we are able to continue this progress is by selecting a diverse pool of qualified individuals to run the various committees and then use the recommendations from those who are able to analyze the data from their respective areas of expertise These are complicated problems with complicated solutions but as a leader of the league I would be more than willing to defer to the suggestions that come from specialized knowledge produced by those in the committees to tackle any problems the league faces Thank you very much and if you would like to contact me please e mail me at danieltakash gmail com Drew Latimer Hi everyone Iâ m Drew Latimer Iâ m a Sophomore at Tufts I want to be VP Ops for a few reasons but the first and foremost is my concern about the treatment of small teams on the circuit At the Rutgers APDA meeting the body voted to move Mount Holyoke to the same weekend as Tufts Opposing MoHo in Western Mass with Tufts in Boston effectively condemns MoHo to being cancelled This may seem like a victory for me since it means Tufts will be unopposed in the North However I was very uncomfortable with how quickly the body condemned a small team because they were unable to send a team to the Rutgers APDA meeting In order to save MoHo from not having a tournament and losing their primary source of funding I have formed a plan to have the first APDA Womenâ s tournament in the North at MoHo next year so that they can hold a tournament This has the added benefits of giving schools who cannot afford to go to Maryland an unsanctioned option for competing that weekend and hopefully improving female novice retention and the quality of APDA for women as a whole My second concern with the league is about Expansion As you know I was the Expansion Coordinator for New England this year Many schools that previously were interested in joining have fallen off the map despite my efforts to reach out to them In my position as Expansion Coordinator I had limited power to address these issues Basically all I could do was email schools and express my concern to people If elected to the board I hope that I will be able to better address this issue I see the problem as a lack of knowledge of APDA and a lack of opportunity to compete As for the first problem I have the new Expansion Committee proactively try to grow APDA and explore the reasons schools that join in one year do not remain active And for the lack of opportunity Tufts did not charge reg to any expansion teams this year We will continue this practice in the future I want to encourage other schools to consider removing all barriers to access for expansion schools at the very least to consider a reg break to the cost of teams attending Regarding issues of discrimination on APDA obviously I am fully in solidarity with the Womenâ s Initiative and the still forming Minority Initiative that was discussed at Rutgers However I recognize that as a straight white man I am not the person to lead either of these campaigns for an end to discrimination I will still do everything in my power to allow these two Initiatives to actually create the change we need to fix the league Vice President for Finance Arianna Israel Hello APDA My name is Arianna Israel and I am running for VP Finance I am a sophomore at NYU and currently serve as a novice mentor expansion coordinator and member of APDA s Video Task Force I believe that my proven ability to secure sizable sponsorships maintain accurate records of budgeted expenditures and ensure timely revenue collection as NorthAms tournament director coupled with my accounting experience will allow me to fulfill the duties of VP Finance Additionally using that same expertise I hope to be able to institute programs that help schools that are new to the league or struggling with limited budgets participate fully on APDA and host profitable tournaments The duties of VP Finance include collecting league dues writing the financial section of the annual report keeping complete and accurate records of all incoming and outgoing payments and filing tax returns and additional paperwork in a timely manner As the tournament director for NorthAms I promptly invoiced teams recorded each school s payment status and contacted teams individually to remind them of their outstanding debt resulting in a collection rate of over 90 a month after the tournament Furthermore I compiled a budget for the tournament detailing each line item expenditure and the corresponding estimated cost to keep track of payments to vendors and to model the effect of scalable expenses such as judge subsidies and registration breaks on revenue projections Additionally as a member of the accounting team at Stolar Capital I cleaned up the firm s books and kept accurate up to date records of all payments and receipts while consistently producing reports to ensure accuracy If elected VP Finance I will ensure that all accounts are accurate as I did with Stolar Capital where my detail oriented approach resulted in the recovery of over 65 000 Furthermore I have experience filing tax returns and producing annual investor reports both of which are relatively simple processes when complete and accurate records are kept As VP Finance I believe that my experience would make the tasks traditionally delegated to the position manageable allowing me to focus on making the league a more economically inclusive environment preventing the cost of the activity from standing as an insurmountable barrier to competition for many teams In obtaining over 7 000 in sponsorships for NorthAms and speaking with potential sponsors I realized there are numerous untapped sponsorships and grant opportunities from which the league could benefit I have already begun the process of identifying potential funding sources One potential way in which this funding would be used is by allocating it to teams on the basis of need For example in order for a team to apply for league funding the school would submit a semester budget verifiable through the administration if the team receives university funding and a proposal outlining estimated tournament costs allowing allocation decisions to be made without bias according to predetermined and published guidelines in an effort to maintain transparency Sponsors want access to a pool of intelligent customers students and job applicants I would speak with teams hosting profitable large tournaments to compile a list of schools willing to accommodate sponsors in order to help raise funds for teams with highly restrictive budgets If elected I would of course defer to the body in deciding how to use this money but I know that I will be effective in instituting the league chooses Also since a significant source of funding for teams is tournament revenue I would coordinate with the expansion committee to help new schools with the logistics and budgeting that goes into hosting a profitable tournament Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you may have via Facebook or email at aei225 nyu edu or by phone at 203 695 3781 Thank you Matt Kahn Hi APDA For those whom I havenâ t met yet my name is Matthew Kahn I am a junior at Bates College running for Vice President of Finance because I believe that my ideas can help ensure that APDA is accessible to novices and varsity on current member teams and to those who may wish to join in the future My accomplishments to date and ideas for the future illustrate that I would be exceptionally well suited to accomplish this goal as your Vice President of Finance The Vice President of Finance has two distinct responsibilities on the board filing APDAâ s tax exempt status with the IRS and collecting and managing annual dues from member institutions A number of experiences make me particularly well suited for this responsibility In high school I was a student director of a non profit community service organization which required me to learn how to file for non profit status with the IRS and help oversee an annual budget of about 200 000 I also managed finances for the Bates team last semester when our coach took an unexpected leave of absence which required me to work cooperatively with competitors our executive board and the Bates administration to ensure that all spending at tournaments was accounted for Lastly as an expansion coordinator I have helped schools on the West Coast become full members of APDA which meant that I assisted them in the process of paying dues or securing dues waivers This work gave me into a foray into the processes for which the VP Finance is responsible These experiences demonstrate that my capabilities meet the demands of being VP Finance My experience beliefs and ideas for the future of APDA make me a worthy candidate for VP Finance I have fought hard to ensure that teams and individual debaters especially novices do not feel deterred from participating on APDA As an expansion coordinator I have advocated since the beginning of the year on behalf of many underfunded institutions in need of reg breaks I usually secured full reg breaks for these schools I have also worked to help a number of institutions obtain increased funding for their teams so that they can meet transportation costs This is particularly important for expansion schools Though reg breaks can lower the price of competing at a tournament transportation costs remain fixed and for teams that donâ t receive enough institutional funding those expenses can fall to individual competitors and serve as a significant deterrent to participation I have also fought to ensure equity in other ways For example early this year I learned that many debaters on the circuit had bought gluten free or vegan food with their own money because the tournament did not provide adequate meals to those with dietary restrictions In response I proposed a best practice to optimize the way that tournaments promulgate their food offerings to ensure that people with dietary restrictions are not overburdened by having to spend lots of money each and every weekend because tournaments lack appropriate and nutritious food for them After the successful adoption of the best practice I proposed there have been fewer reports of tournaments not providing adequate food for those in need As someone with no dietary restrictions this proposal should illustrate that I am dedicated to being aware of and working to solve problems that affect the broader APDA community There are a number of other proposals that I would hope to support as VP Finance First I would create guidance on reg fees to accomplish to optimize the leagues goals For example I believe that novice reg should be cheaper in order to increase novice participation Teams could receive a discount of 15 for each novice that they bring to a tournament For a team paying full reg at an average tournament about 120 this policy means that teams can afford to increase novice participation by 25 with the same amount of money Additionally it frees up capital for teams to spend on transportation or attendance at future tournaments In any scenario it ensures that more novices can attend more tournaments which is a demonstrable good for the league It also promotes inclusivity because it encourages schools with budgetary constraints to send many novices to tournaments not just the novices who are most competitively successful often as a result of having participated in high school debate Second tournaments should adopt a norm of school blind team names to try to mitigate competitor and judging biases There are obvious shortcomings of this policyâ s efficacy for example debaters from major schools will always know who they are hitting and judges will always recognize the best debaters But when one of the most commonly expressed sentiments among smaller schools is feeling demotivated when they know that theyâ re hitting a certain school it certainly cannot hurt to try to optimize on their behalf My last proposal is to start a dialogue on the league about an important problem that deserves attention It has become an increasingly common occasion that some judges at tournaments judge rounds intoxicated While the people in question are undoubtedly trying to enjoy their weekend I believe that this behavior is unfair to debaters At best debaters donâ t know that their judge is intoxicated and get less useful feedback and at worst it might be obvious that their judge is under the influence and the debaters may feel uncomfortable unimportant and unwelcome on the league Even if accidentally intoxicated judges are more likely to make sexist homophobic or otherwise insensitive comments which have been reported this year Likely due to judge allocation across brackets that reporting seems to be biased towards novices and expansion schools two subsets of the APDA community that already face too many unwelcoming factors I believe this issue would benefit from the leagueâ s attention so that we can collectively find a way to ensure that all debaters get the best judging possible Should I be elected I would always be willing to listen to feedback from the broader community and would continue to advocate for all schools that require assistance I will voice the frustrations that mar the experiences of everyone in the community and support the changes that you wish to see The members of the APDA Board are your elected representatives to ensure that this league is reflective of your views and the ideas that I have proposed are only as valuable as debaters find them If you disagree with have concerns questions or comments about them or any other facet of my candidacy please reach out to me to via Facebook email or phone Warmest regards Matt mkahn bates edu 860 878 9807 Matt Rohn Hi APDA for those of you whom I haven t met yet my name is Matthew Rohn and I m currently a junior at Franklin Marshall College I m running for APDA s VP of Finance because I want to make this league a better and more accessible place so that it can give to more people what it gave it me While the specific duties of the VP Finance are obviously important I want to talk first about what I want to do for the league moving forward In short I want APDA to be bigger I want not just more schools but more people and more perspectives on the league Most clearly there are the thousands of schools that aren t in any way connected with APDA to whom we should reach out as potential members of our league But growth isn t just about the number of schools we have it s about the people who make up the team at any school new or old As many schools as we may get coming to tournaments if we don t solve the problems which keep women people of color and people who aren t from wealthy families systemically underrepresented on the league then we prevent the league expanding to so many people â people who deserve the chance to compete themselves and people who would add critical perspectives to every kind of discourse we have on the league Anything which makes our community more accessible is an important step forward to a league that affords everybody the opportunity to experience the kind of competition discourse and community that we all value I ve worked within the expansion committee and novice mentor committee this year to reach out to new and small programs and offer than any assistance possible in growing their program as well as to more established schools to help keep debate a welcoming environment to all novices When I came to F M I came to a team with a small handful of people and no history of OTYs or awards and over the last couple years have helped it grow into a team which is competitive which is gender balanced and which has a novice class this year bigger than our last five combined I know what it takes to build a team from the ground up and I want to make sure the league does everything in its power to make sure that other schools can too The reason that I wasn t involved with the novice mentor and expansion committees until this year is that at the end of my freshman year I simply didn t know they existed because I was from a small school that wasn t well connected on the league I have done and will continue the kind of outreach to small programs to ensure that our league s resources aren t just accessed by the top As far as the specific duties of the VP Finance are concerned I have been in charge of the finances of multiple organizations at F M most obviously the debate team as treasurer and then president I have had similar duties to this position of dues collection and filing as part of other organizations which I head at F M and would be up to the task of doing the same for APDA I can construct a financial report in the way that the last several VP Finances have which I had to do several times over the last year for potential donors to our team As VP Finance I would be transparent accessible open to the views of the league and most of all would seek to serve APDA well When I came to college the one thing I was sure I wanted to do was debate and I want to make it so that everybody has that opportunity in a league which is truly welcoming and accessible to everyone who wants to join If you have any questions for me at all please email me at mrohn fandm edu Member at Large Laura Coughlin Hi APDA My name is Laura Coughlin and Iâ m running for Member at Large APDA has been an incredibly rewarding part of my life and I want to do everything I can to give back and make sure it is a positive and inclusive experience for everyone Iâ m currently the president of the BU Debate Society a position that has enabled me to gain valuable experience and prepared me for the commitment of serving on APDA board As president I have pulled us out of a dismal financial situation made the team more accessible by ensuring that all debaters can compete without having to pay their own travel expenses and greatly improved our novice retention gender balance and racial diversity As Member at Large Iâ d like to expand this success to the league as a whole In organizing BU Novice I have thought long and hard about how to improve novice retention on the league and worked to make changes happen to that end We now use gender equitable calibration rounds have judge trainings that includes discussions about gender bias and gender balance our judge pool We also work with and encourage expansion schools to send as many teams and observers as they want free of charge or at greatly reduced cost One of the duties of Members at Large is to help in the organization of Novice Tournaments and serve as a liaison between the host schools and the board a task that Iâ m very well qualified for Another one of the enumerated responsibilities of the Members at Large is the creation and distribution of an APDA newsletter This is something that I would like to bring back with content included from the standing committees Although it might not be necessary for debaters who frequent the forum and attend tournaments every weekend I think a newsletter is a great way to keep those who arenâ t around as often feeling included and invested in the league Itâ s often the case that those who could benefit most from resources we offer like hybrid initiatives and content from the Novice Mentors are the least likely to be aware of them and this would be a good way to fix that It would also help to spread norms on the league like the use of trigger warnings and discussion of preferred gender pronouns and make people more aware of issues regarding equity racial diversity and gender disparity Equity on the league is something that is incredibly important to me One of the things I would like to do as Member at Large is work to improve judging quality and balance because biased judging can be so damaging to retention and it makes debate feel like an unwelcoming space The Video Task Force has done a great job compiling videos and making calibration rounds and Iâ d like to work with them along with the Novice Mentor Program and Womenâ s Initiative to expand this program to distribute not just private calibration rounds for judge ranking purposes but also publicly available rounds for judge education and training I want to work with the standing committees to encourage teams to use rounds with assigned speaks ranks and analysis from a variety of well qualified judges throughout the year to familiarize their less experienced judges with the speaker scale teach them how to formulate a good RFD and help them to confront the biases they might have rather than only calibrating right before their tournament Of course itâ s important to keep some private rounds for accurate ranking but right now calibration doesnâ t so much serve to improve judging as it does to protect good debaters from bad judges Poorly judged down rounds make it difficult for debaters to improve and leave novices feeling frustrated and often discriminated against Please contact me either at cough bu edu or on Facebook if you have any questions for me Iâ d also like to hear about your ideas for what you would like the board to do because I think itâ s important to get as much input as possible and for the board to be approachable and truly representative of the league Thanks Laura Jerusalem Demsas Hey everyone my name is Jerusalem Demsas I am a member of the William Mary Debate Society and I am running for a Member at Large position on the APDA Board for the 2015 2016 season My candidacy statement will consist of first an overview of my qualifications and secondly my ideas for the upcoming season My qualifications fall into two parts Firstly my work on the Womenâ s Initiative committee and as an Equal Opportunity Facilitator When I first joined these committees I wondered how the league in general felt about these two programs and how they felt they should be working WI the EOF program had attempted to have multiple discussions last year where this could be nailed down but it was incredibly difficult to quantify the information I suggested the creation of an annual survey that could take the temperature of the league and how it felt about issues of equity so that we could track how these were changing With generous help from both the WI committee and EOFs the survey was disseminated last semester and the results were published this semester This demonstrates that I can ground the constructive ideas most members of APDA have into a realistic and actionable project My work as an Equity Officer has made me someone that individuals feel comfortable approaching and discussing sensitive information with I feel that this is an incredibly important qualification for MALs to have since they are many times the most easily accessible representatives of the board Thus far this year I have been asked to be an Equity Officer at 8 tournaments not including W M I and II GW I II AU I II F M TCNJ Georgetown and Princeton This is indicative of a level of trust individuals across the league have in me Further it has given me a great deal of comfort working with Tournament Directors and the host schools which is a skill necessary for a MAL to have as well Secondly my work as Vice President of Operations on the William Mary Debate Team has given me administrative and logistical skills that I believe are transferrable as a member of the APDA Board This position sets me apart from many of the candidates running because of the context of my position William Mary cut all funding from our team 4 years ago My job is to ensure that the money we make at our tournaments the fundraising avenues we routinely explore and the reg breaks we generously receive from members of the league culminate in a balanced budget I have not only been able to sustain our team financially but plan to the extent that we have been able to achieve a level of success which has allowed us to cultivate a larger sophomore and novice class than we have ever been able to sustain My position makes me incredibly sympathetic to expansion schools and will allow me to give them concrete advice as to how to plan their semesters and explore unconventional avenues for revenue growth Further on my own team I have taken special care and attention to foster the female novice class Last year due to a myriad of issues there were essentially no other female novices who by the end of the year were regularly competing outside of myself This year despite roughly the same makeup of novices being admitted onto the team I had social programs integrating the novice females held private prep sessions and made sure I was available to them for any issues Because of my own struggles last year entering with almost no debate experience I was able to target things that did not seem like they needed attention that many female debaters lack including a confidence gap and being behind in crucial aspects of debate like flowing and the structure of argumentation I have many ideas for the 2015 2016 year but the one thing I want to focus on next year is growing and expanding the minority mentorship program Aaron Murphy a MAL this year was able to create a database of individuals who were willing to be Minority mentors and organized for a conference where the league was able to hear about the experiences of minority debaters However the mentorship program did not go far enough this year Everyone supports a program that would encourage minority development on the league But the efforts thus far have been relatively haphazard and unfocused I can solve this I will take the collected list of individuals who are interested in being mentors mentees and start by contacting them by the end of May and lead skype sessions in the beginning with focused agendas so that everyone is aware of the expectations and goals of the program I also want to make sure at Nationals that all schools are aware of the program and that they should spread the information amongst their debaters The Minority mentorship program can have an auspicious beginning if we are able to get it off the ground for the summer This is a point in time where I believe mentors will have more time to devote to mentorship I also want to make sure that this goes beyond simply debate help and young minority debaters will be able to integrate socially which is many times a problem Due to this I would also facilitate social events for the mentorship groups wherein at tournaments all the members would have lunch or dinner together and if it is possible regionally even do so outside of tournaments If you have any questions for me feel free to email me at jdemsas email wm edu or add me on Facebook Anirudh Dasarathy Hey APDA â My name is Anirudh â Aniâ Dasarathy and Iâ m running to become a Member at Large of the APDA board Iâ m a junior at Princeton who currently serves as tour director on our team responsible for maintaining all travel logistics as well as assisting in training our novice class Over the past couple of years the APDA community has become a second home to me and I would be honored to have a chance to give back I believe that I have the unique perspective as an outsider not involved with respect to the APDA leadership while still being exposed to a number of the issues this league faces I think that as a league APDA provides a great opportunity for people to meet like minded thinkers as well as hone argumentation skills while gaining a broad knowledge base However I do think that there are a number of things that APDA could do better I think that I have the ideas as well as the logistical expertise to achieve that end For one I have noticed the issues that this league faces in terms of equity both in terms of gender as well as race I think that these are structural issues to a large extent This year on the Princeton team I was fortunate to work with the rest of our board on addressing such issues to a relatively successful extent I would be able to use my experiences both as a minority as well as work with the Princeton team to translate the efforts that WI and the Equity team has already done to make the league more inclusive overall Additionally I have a number of ideas in terms of helping smaller teams with less institutional knowledge develop Having been involved with the Princeton high school tournament as well as the high school league for four years I believe that I can work with smaller schools to begin drafting plans to raise funding by hosting successful high school tournaments Having worked with novices on the Princeton team I am aware uniquely of the problems of attrition this league faces and have worked this year with the rest of our board to have record rates of novice and minority retention Moreover I would love to work on putting together an extensive guide for programs with less institutional knowledge for novice training and casing I firmly believe that if more expansion schools compete more often that the league itself would be better off I feel additionally that there could be more institutional support for debating motions As someone who has enjoyed debating motions both in BP and APDA I would work on putting together some guides on modeling approaching prep etc In terms of judging calibration I would work on putting together a set of videos on how to judge rounds I feel currently many teams just calibrate by making their students write an RFD for a calibration round Having an introductory video to judging could dramatically increase judging quality of a number of tournaments The MAL position is designed for people who have the ideas time and energy to make the league a better place Iâ ve decided that I will not be holding a leadership position on the Princeton team so that if elected I can work on making the league a more inclusive place for all Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions â feel free to message me on Facebook email me at anirudhd at princeton edu or call me at 216 308 4469 Thanks everyone Anirudh Jake Villarreal Iâ m Jake Villarreal President of Trinity Collegeâ s debate team and class of â 16 I previously attended Bates College before transferring this year and starting a team at Trinity For me APDA has been a place for me to learn coherent ways of expressing my thoughts as well as to interact with intellectually curious people with a broad variety of interests I think the importance of an activity like parliamentary debate canâ t be overstated for increasing the confidence and eloquence of people who arenâ t normally granted a voice by their schools and communities or told that their voices have value it is extremely rare to find an environment where someone can speak for 8 minutes on an issue theyâ re passionate about or deliver a critique based on their own knowledge and have people intently listen This potential for debate as an activity for liberation is something I think the league has a large potential to support and why I want to run for member at large During my time on APDA there has been discussion about the need to get more people of color low income people people who didnâ t debate in high school etc onto the debate circuit but there has never been any concrete action as a league Something I would really like to do for the league next year is organize outreach events and possibly public debates for organizations like the Urban Debate League Posse Scholars Questbridge Scholars Zeta Phi Beta etc that all have national and or state level conferences and events that should be receptive to having APDA present especially if we can have people of color on the debate circuit talking about how debate has improved their lives overall A second suggestion is to have Equity Officers or representatives from specific committees look over motions at motion tournaments either directly before a round or during the process of motion creation This would not be for quality but to ensure the motions arenâ t triggering offensive or asking for triggering offensive arguments to be made I think weâ ve seen several instances at motion tournaments this year including the North American Championships where people were forced to debate topics that were awkward at best and psychologically damaging at worst with no opt out mechanism beyond forfeiting the round Third and last I support the creation of a specific APDA organization for people of color similar to the Womenâ s Initiative for research outreach discussions etc Iâ m sure this is not at all original or controversial and will be accomplished soon but I would like to take part in building the organizationâ s structure and directives to be as inclusive and effective as possible As far as I know I am the only indigenous debater on the circuit Lipan Apache I understand what itâ s like to feel like arguments based on experience are invalid as well as being subject to a discourse that often includes

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/about/elections (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive

  • APDAWeb - Guide
    further These are government case statements which are self evidently true Earth is smaller than the Sun for example is a tautology There can be no argument with this factual statement More commonly a tautology occurs when a certain position is the only option e g Clinton is the best Democratic president since 1981 If a PM proposes a tight case the LO must point this out during the LOC Ordinarily the LO would then propose an alternative version of the case statement which the opposition would be willing to oppose If the Government team accepts this alternative then the debate can be judged as if the alternative were the original case statement If the LO does not propose an alternative or the government does not accept the alternative then the key issue in the round is whether or not the governments case is tight or tautological If the opposition proves that the case is tight then the opposition wins If the government proves that the opposition could have beaten the case then the opposition loses Regardless of how the round goes both sides should try to argue their side as effectively as possible Please note that you should offer reasons why a case is tight I am not good enough to beat this case does not mean that the case is tight No moral person can argue for the torture of innocents without cause does constitute an argument for tightness Certain cases may be considered APDA tight That means that although some people argue for each side of the debate the general characteristics of APDA as a community of college students make the opposition side too difficult to defend Legalizing sodomy may be debatable but a vast majority of APDA debaters would support that case so the case could be considered tight Debaters who choose to run a government case in favor of banning sodomy would be forced to defend the position they choose Specific Knowledge Cases Sometimes the government team will propose a case that deals with specialized subject matter that makes the case un debatable The case NASA should replace the current sealant used on the space shuttle with hypoxynucleotide C4598 would be specific knowledge It may be that there are very good reasons to replace the compound or to keep the old compound so the case would not be tight The subject matter of the debate however would revolve around very specific scientific knowledge which only chemical engineers would have The opposition should stand up in the LOC and say that the case is specific knowledge and attempt to debate or argue whatever they can Even though I do not know about those particular chemical sealants for example I could argue that the old sealant must work to some degree because we have been launching so many shuttles during the past six years I could further say that NASA has limited funding and should concentrate its efforts on the Mars program instead of sealents which do not constitute a significant threat All of those arguments can be made without knowing about the specific topic The government team would be heavily penalized for running a specific knowledge case and the opposition would win in the above example Parliamentary debate does not allow evidence Debates which require research may well be considered specific knowledge unless the Government team can adequately explain all of the relevant information Most cases will not be as clear cut as the one above The standard we apply on APDA is that of the reasonable college student A well informed student should be able to debate the topic Debaters may also think of a New York Times standard Could I read and debate about the subject of this debate based on information available in the New York Times This means that discussing WWII or the Kosovo conflict would be fair game The standard should not be abused by arguing that a person could read all about a specific merger deal in the business section so a debate about the merger of two European software companies would be general knowledge General knowledge would be found on the front page or in major articles in the national or international sections of the paper The fact that an individual does not know about a particular area does not mean that it is specific knowledge Important events in history major works of literature and current events are general knowledge The opposition team can however ask the Government team for an outline of the facts in a particular case The Government team must disclose all the information They may not try to win by concealing the truth Even cases which could be specific knowledge are not if the Government teams does an adequate job of explaining the situation and giving the opposition team the facts required to construct an opposition One could for example run a case about Korean War policy provided that they outlined who fought in the war the general political circumstances of the time and any major events that had recently occurred The Korean War began in the 1950s so the government would mention that after WWII the world had polarized along capitalist and communist lines and that the USSR had demonstrated its nuclear capability prior to the start of the war The United States presence in the Philippines might also be relevant but the grain production in Outer Mongolia for the years 1955 60 would not be relevant the Government team would be expected to know and outline for the Opposition US military presence in the far east but not specific unimportant events Despite the fact that the Korean War is a major event in the 20th century the Government team must be prepared to outline the conflict for uninformed opponents The Opposition should also be given ample opportunity to ask questions about the case and the time period Many APDA debaters know a lot about certain specific areas for example constitutional interpretation Although a

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/guide/rules (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive

  • APDAWeb - Guide
    with subjects that were not brought up by the government Responses to government arguments are generally given after all the independent analysis has been made Member of the Government Constructive MG or MGC 1 Introduce any remaining new Government material 2 Respond to the LO s attacks 3 Reconstruct the Government Case There will often not be any new material for the MG to bring up If there are additional points the MG should make them at the beginning of his or her speech The most important thing the MG does is cover all the previous arguments in the round and describe the Governments position on each of them This will be the last opportunity the Government has to say anything new so make sure you do not leave any arguments un addressed The MG speech usually has the greatest time pressure on it as there will be many arguments for the MG to talk about Most debaters begin with rebutting LO independent analysis and then support the PMs arguments against the responses of the LO This speech must be clear and organized to prevent confusion in the round Member of the Opposition Constructive MO or MOC 1 Introduce any new Opposition arguments 2 Respond to the MG 3 Respond to any Government arguments that have not been responded to The MO is the most free flowing speech in the round Although there are many different effective ways to give an MO there are two basic tasks First the MO has to cover the LO If they failed to make any important Opposition arguments or missed one of the governments points the MO must make those arguments Second the MO speech should give the judge clear reasons to vote for Opposition These could be independent arguments or synthesis of the LO arguments but good MOs often bring a new perspective to the round or attack the Government from a new angle MOs should attack MG independent points MG responses and the case Powerful arguments however should not be deliberately saved for the MO Debaters should not offer a weak LOC in order to pack the MO with the best arguments This packing strategy is called MO dumping It is poor debating and judges may count an MO dump against a team if the judge believes that the Opposition acted unfairly to gain a tactical advantage Leader of the Opposition Rebuttal LOR 1 Crystalize the round into clear Opposition voting issues 2 Preempt any problems due to lack of clarity or objections the Opposition has made to the case i e specific knowledge tight case etc The LOR does not give new arguments The speech serves to frame the debate from the Opposition s point of view The LO should explain each of the reasons why the Opposition has won the round and why these reasons outweigh the arguments the government has made This would also be the last opportunity to remind the judge briefly of any objections the LO raised

    Original URL path: http://www.apdaweb.org/guide/speeches (2016-02-13)
    Open archived version from archive



  •