archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • 20th Century Chestnut Hill
    laid out around Germantown Avenue and Bethlehem Pike With the arrival of the fi rst railroad and consolidation into the City of Philadelphia in 1854 Chestnut Hill began a transformation into a suburban community This era brought the arrival of many prosperous families building expensive architect designed houses villas and mansions Later opening of a second railroad line in 1884 initiated signifi cant new residential development by Henry Howard Houston and his son in law Dr George Woodward Under their infl uence a 40 year planned development took place with the construction of approximately 200 houses all designed by leading architects of the time and creating the legacy associated today with the look of Philadelphia s most fashionable suburb in the City Following the Depression and World War II some of the most notable architects of the past 50 years were commissioned to create unique new houses on open tracts of land throughout Chestnut Hill These houses comprise a rich collection of designs that refl ect Philadelphia s particular approach to modernism a combination of traditionalism with progressivism rather than an opposition between these two design forces This approach is embodied in the work of the famous so called Philadelphia

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/20thcentury/ (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Untitled Document
    s 1860 s ORIGINAL OWNER Unknown ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown Borie lists this as owned by Campbell George H Campbell is listed in the 1929 Chestnut Hill and Mt Airy Residential and Telephone Directory as living on Wyndmoor Avenue one

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_93_unidentified_house.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Chestnut Hill Historical Society John Naylor Collection 1970 130 MAP NUMBER Not Applicable DATE Unknown ORIGINAL OWNER John Samuel Naylor ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown This is the Peoples Iron Foundry building owned by John Samuel Naylor in the Old City

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_130_Front_and_Girard.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Naylor Photograph Collection :: Map
    JOHN NAYLOR PHOTOGRAPH COLLECTION MAP OF PHOTOGRAPHED SITES Click on number to view photograph Home Introduction Biography of John Naylor Naylor Collection Sources CHHS Home

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/map.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Berkins Later the home was owned by Major William E Goodman merchant and soldier of Harrington and Goodman wholesale dry goods merchants As noted in King s View of Philadelphia this home occupies the site of a Revolutionary Tavern on the line of Washington s retreat from Germantown The house was reputed to have the largest maple tree 13 foot circumference in the community and was the site of the

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_85_142_Bethlehem.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    to escape the city the beginning of a trend of sophisticated fashionable houses in this rural community Childs was a director of the Chestnut Hill Railroad which brought the first railroad to Chestnut Hill in 1854 Walter was responsible for the design of Girard College and the Greek Revival additions to Andalusia on the Delaware River He was architect of the United States Capitol in Washington D C where he

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_84_150_Bethlehem.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    to Ida Wray on the site of an earlier Benson house which was destroyed by fire Built as a summer home with no central heating it had approximately 42 rooms The square ecclesiastical style tower topped with pencil shaped pinnacles is a Chandler trademark The stone driveway entry posts still exist on Bethlehem Pike After the house was demolished the site was used for the Chestnut Hill Hospital Main Street

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_104_105_159_Bethlehem.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Lynnewood Hall Edwin M Benson Jr and his wife lived in Lynnewood Cottage A two story addition was added to the north side in 1913 by the architecture firm of Mellor Meigs After the house was demolished in the 1930s a new house was built adjacent The foundation wall of the cottage still exists in the garden of the present house The property was in the Benson Nalle family throughout

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_83_189_Bethlehem.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •