archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Untitled Document
    an addition in the center built upon the original open terrace which was added after 1889 It is not present in the 1889 Wells and Hope photograph at the Free Library s Print Picture Department The original upper floors were burned and demolished in the 1920s George Thomas daughter Sophie and her husband Schuyler Volkmar lived on the estate in another large house now known as Greystock until her death

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_80_81_7_Caryl_Lane.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Untitled Document
    DATE 1889 ORIGINAL OWNER Edward W Clark ARCHITECT Attributed to George T Pearson CONTRACTOR Unknown Keewaydin was executed in the Dutch Colonial Revival style E W Clark had many alterations and additions made to this large house with its imposing wings until 1934 mainly using George T Pearson as his architect The wings of the house have now been divided into separate dwelling units 542 West Moreland Avenue and 611

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_123_7709_Cherokee.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Hill from a farming community to a suburb in the city One of the house s occupants General Joshua T Owen 1821 1887 served during the Civil War and was instrumental in founding both the Presbyterian Church of Chestnut Hill and the Chestnut Hill Academy The third floor with its ornamental stucco exterior is reportedly an addition to the original house as is the bracketed cornice supporting the wide overhang

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_56_5_E_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    a gentleman determined that Chestnut Hill should have a Catholic Church in the 1850s At that time many of the house servants were recent immigrants from Ireland and other Catholic countries When erected the church was known as St Mary s Lady of Consolation Church The above photograph shows the tall Gothic spire which was erected in 1885 replacing an original square campanile The current spire dates from the 1950s

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_128_11_E_Chestnut_%20Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Paul s Episcopal Church s chapel on left in the photographs was built in 1856 and serves today as the parish auditorium Sidney Merry architects designed the Dixon House in 1862 behind trees on right The church cornerstone of the church in this view was laid on October 25 1861 and construction was completed in 1862 The present church parish house and Sunday School designed by Zantzinger Borie Medary architects

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_76_79_22_E_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    this location in 1881 The school was renamed Springside in 1901 and remained here until the move to the present location at the intersection of Willow Grove Avenue and Cherokee Street in December 1957 Land for the present school originally part of the front lawn of Druim Moir the Houston estate was given by Dr and Mrs Henry P Brown as a birthday present to the school on its 75th

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_78_E_Chestnut_Hill_and_Norwood.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    and Norwood Avenues In 1883 Colonel George H North a banker and broker bought the house from Dr Robert Bolling The structure behind was constructed in 1887 as a school building for what is now Our Mother of Consolation Church While the present school building was being constructed this house was used as the school and then was demolished in 1928 It is now a parking lot The mirror image

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_74_Chestnut_Hill_and_Norwood.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    of Germantown and West Chestnut Hill Avenues this late Victorian dwelling with heavy stone and Tudor trim was constructed as a single house In 1905 the Duhring Okie Ziegler architects designed the large stone and stucco addition to the west left end of the house In the background to the right is the roof of the United Methodist Church of Chestnut Hill Disston s father Henry founded Disston Saw Works

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_36_37_87_90_137_1_5_7_W_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •