archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Untitled Document
    had flamboyant gables and timber work a broad curved porch and a three story stone tower topped with an open porch Substantial alterations in the years following Naylor s photograph have stripped it of much of its Victorian character and the growth of trees have all but obscured it from the street The carriage house still exists in a style corresponding to the original house design Alterations occurred in 1895

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_100_305_W_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    63 MAP NUMBER 22 DATE 1903 ORIGINAL OWNER John Andrew Harris ARCHITECT Arthur Brockie CONTRACTOR George S Roth This Colonial Revival house has been known variously as Highlands Highwinds and Dunwoodie Arthur Brockie designed alterations in 1927 Robert R McGoodwin architect designed further alterations in 1937 and 1939 An accompanying stable was built in 1905 Brockie Hastings architects Note the barren landscape and the tree on the left hand side

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_63_437_W_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    as Wisteria this house is one of several country houses in Chestnut Hill designed by Wilson Eyre The elaborate Flemish gable is the defining characteristic of the house The west end of the dwelling has since been enclosed and regularized and a timbered wing projecting toward the street was added Alterations were made in 1919 Carl Ziegler architect and in 1922 Heacock Hokanson architects to what had been Eyre s

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_111_444_W_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    MAP NUMBER 24 DATE 1885 1889 ORIGINAL OWNER Katie E Hoopes ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown In 1910 Brockie Hastings designed this colonial revival known as Tolethorp renovation for M J Wright On a 1899 atlas plate 19 the original foot print also is an oblique angle shape and Katie E Hoopes is listed as the owner Other additions and alterations were made in 1925 1927 George S Idell architect 1931

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_54_55_450_W_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    William J Patterson Know as Binderton Biddle or Coxe this Flemish style dwelling of red brick with red stone trim and ornament has many ornate features The photograph illustrates the stark character of the landscape with few mature trees as farms were cleared for development This house faced 437 West Chestnut Hill Avenue see Naylor 1970 63 across a broad expanse of lawn This house is not visible from Chestnut

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_62_455_W_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    NUMBER 75 DATE Unknown ORIGINAL OWNER Joseph Middleton ARCHITECT George T Pearson CONTRACTOR Unknown DEMOLISHED 1941 In 1909 Norwood Hall which was a 25 room mansion on an 18 acre estate was purchased for 175 000 by Jacob Disston one of the heirs to the Henry Disston Sons saw manufacturing fortune After that the Gothic structure was also known as Disston s Castle See Hotchkin Germantown Mount Airy and Chestnut

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_122_147_500_W_Chestnut_Hill.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    NUMBER 26 DATE 1904 ORIGINAL OWNER H M Kneedler ARCHITECT Walter F Price CONTRACTOR William J Patterson This Jacobean revival dwelling is little altered today from the first decade of the 20th century except that the front porch has been

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_51_101_8801_Crefeld.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    50 MAP NUMBER 27 DATE 1889 ORIGINAL OWNER Lydia C Middleton ARCHITECT Constable Brothers T Mellon Rogers CONTRACTOR Georges S Roth This house is located at the corner of Laughlin Lane Edgar V Seeler architect designed extensive alterations in 1905 for William Penn Troth In 1921 Peter Kuhn architect further altered the house for William J McGlinn This is another example of the metamorphism of a house from Victorian to

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_50_8831_Crefeld.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •