archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Untitled Document
    and Watson Huckel architects in 1904 to design alterations to the house In 1922 the house was converted to the Shady Hill School which was the lower school of the all girl Stevens School a school in Germantown Mantle Fielding designed a stone addition which was enlarged in 1926 by Day Zimmerman architects and engineers In 1953 the entire Stevens School relocated to Highfield but moved back to Germantown in

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_42_58_59_125_126_8836_Crefeld.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    He named the property Homewood Lea a well known chemist had a private laboratory in this house His best known publication was Photography a study of the chemistry of photography Russell and Mary Dixon Thayer purchased the residence between 1899 and 1906 Their son Russell Thayer Jr was the treasurer of the General Coal Company In 1929 30 Tilden Register Pepper designed a new imposing European style house for this

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_94_95_138_9002_Crefeld.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    This dwelling sited on the edge of the Wissahickon was radically altered in 1911 and 1913 by Brockie Hastings architects in 1923 by Koelle Pepper architects and in 1927 and 1935 by Tilden Register Pepper architects so that today the house little resembles the one pictured here The original version of the house signaled the change from a Victorian to a more contemporary aesthetic an overall horizontal character expressed in

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_49_9012_Crefeld.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Naylor Collection 1970 86 MAP NUMBER 31 DATE 1905 ORIGINAL OWNER Edgar P Earle ARCHITECT Horace Wells Sellers CONTRACTOR Stokes Brothers Horace Wells Sellers designed this Colornial Revival house as well as a two story brick garage in 1911 and a stone addition in 1912 Alterations occurred to this home in 1963 This photograph shows the view of the back of the house looking east and again demonstrates how open

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_86_8210_Crittenden.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    its construction heralded as innovative in both form plan and mix of materials However by the time John Naylor photographed the house taste had shifted to a more academically correct interpretation of classical and colonial forms Additions and alterations were made in 1897 1898 1901 Wilson Eyre Jr architect 1902 1903 Charles Cridland architect 1906 John Owens designer 1910 Wilson Eyre Jr architect 1941 1956 Paul A Brosz architect 1957

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_88_401_409_E_Evergreen.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    center bay window on the second floor is characteristic of many summer homes constructed in Chestnut Hill in the decades prior to and following the opening of the railroad in 1854 Caleb Cope was the President of the Philadelphia Savings Fund Society from 1864 1888 Lavish gardens open to the public stretched behind his house to Crefeld Street including a natural spring that ran through Cope s Grotto Square three

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_91_8630_8640_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    1927 The Maple Lawn Inn was a summer hotel which opened in 1876 at the fork of Germantown Avenue and Bethlehem Pike The inn earned its nickname the Dust Bin from the dust generated by the roads The building originally housed the 18th century Yeakel Store and was enlarged with the mansard roof and cupola probably in 1876 The Philadelphia Rapid Transit PRT bought the inn and then demolished it

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_43_8701_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Bolling s House ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown DEMOLISHED 1929 1932 This shingle style dwelling stood where the Top of Hill shopping center built in 1975 and 1976 and the trolley and bus turn around is today In the 1930s it was replaced by the Grove Diner On the left side of the photograph the rear corner of the Christian Hall Library building 1872 forerunner of the Chestnut Hill branch of

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_23_8705_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •