archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Untitled Document
    the home of Samuel Goodman who developed many of the houses in the northern portion of the community especially along West Chestnut Hill Avenue Goodman was a relative of John Naylor s second wife and built their house at 201 West Chestnut Hill Avenue The original front porch of 8729 was removed in 1919 Photograph 1970 67 taken from near the corner of Germantown and West Chestnut Hill Avenues where

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_66_67_8720_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Untitled Document
    144 MAP NUMBER 39 DATE 1903 ORIGINAL OWNER Julia H Marsden ARCHITECT Charles Barton Keen and Mead CONTRACTOR Thomas M Seeds Although this photograph shows a large Georgian revival structure the Biddle Marsden House has been altered and expanded over the years 1911 1912 Charles Barton Keen architect 1922 1926 1927 1948 1959 1968 Samuel Schneidman architect 1974 and 1975 In 1977 it became the Chestnut Hill Health Care Women

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_112_144_8811_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    1852 1860 ORIGINAL OWNER Unknown ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown DEMOLISHED 1980 The trustees of the Chestnut Hill Hospital bought Norrington the Norris Estate in 1907 to converted it into a hospital Brockie Hastings architects designed the renovations and Thomas F Dixon was hired as the general contractor In 1907 the hospital had a 27 bed capacity In 1922 the neighbors contributed to help build a new main building on six

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_64_65_134_135_136_8835_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    porch was a later Victorian addition Alterations and additions were performed in 1902 1921 Harry Gordon McMurtrie architect 1922 H G McMurtrie and 1941 The openness of the land behind the house suggests the sweeping views of Wissahickon Creek Valley and Montgomery County that the first owners must have enjoyed The Chestnut Hill Hospital was given this house by the Laughlin family The Annex served for a period of time

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_40_8836_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Norris W Vaux ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown DEMOLISHED 1921 Originally Richard and Norris W Vaux MD lived in this home Henry A Laughlin who lived on West Chestnut Hill Avenue bought the Vaux house and surrounding 5 acres and transferred it on December 24 1919 to the Chestnut Hill Hospital Mr Laughlin made the donation in honor of his wife Mary Reed Laughlin who died in 1917 The Vaux house

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_32_8837_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    1750 and 1801 ORIGINAL OWNER Ulrich Sheetz ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown The rear portion of this early farmhouse known as the Rex House is reputed to have been constructed in the mid 18th century when Chestnut Hill was a rural community The Federal style front portion of the dwelling was built in 1801 Willing Sims architects designed alterations in 1920 Robert Martin architect designed some additional work in 1934 In

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_41_8840_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Ernest Goodman ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown DEMOLISHED 1939 This Italianate style house was built before 1876 probably in the 1860s The Goodman s granddaughter Joan Carnevali Wallick related that her parents lived here in the 1910s through about 1935 when it was deemed to expenisve to heat She remembers being taken to see the vacant house in 1937 The two colonial revival houses that now occupy this site were built

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_33_8860_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    on page 126 In 1849 grain merchant and developer Charles Taylor purchased a few acres above the Schlatter house and built a stone house which he called Norwood For a long time it was the summer residence of Miss Harriet S Benson who enlarged it very much Harriet Benson commissioned some major renovations to the building in the late 19th century which gives it the Second Empire appearance The house

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_48_8891_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •