archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Untitled Document
    Society John Naylor Collection 1970 61 MAP NUMBER 45 DATE c 1853 ORIGINAL OWNER Unknown ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown This Gothic revival house sits back from the east side of Germnatown Avenue between Sunset Avenue and Hampton Road It was known as the St Michael s Hall Sisters of St Joseph In 1899 Cope Stewardson architects built the two and half story north wing for A C Harrison Other work

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_61_9001_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Cephas G Childs owned this property from 1854 to 1855 as well as other properties around Chestnut Hill Charles Knox Smith bought the house and property from the Sheppard family in April 1898 Smith amassed an art collection which was displayed in this house Upon his death in 1936 his will directed that the art collection and property serve as the basis and creation of the Woodmere Art Gallery now

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_73_9201_Germantown.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    A L Pennock This is an example of Georgian Revival architecture Horace Trumbauer one of the best known architects of the early 20th century had four commissions in the Chestnut Hill community He is known for large country houses and estates in suburban Philadelphia and summer cottages in Newport RI as well as the design for the Philadelphia Museum of Art Once again the openess of the landscape is a

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_117_7811_Huron.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    township maps from 1893 shows Welsh owning 155 acres of land that bordered Paper Mill Road and Montgomery Avenue Welsh was a Philadelphia merchant and married Maria Newbold and died in 1904 Hillbrow actually was Welsh s summer home Frank Furness architect and he had trained for the Civil War in the volunteer Calvary Troop Company on the present site of Chestnut Hill Academy Welsh who lived at 1420 Spruce

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_103_8765_Montgomery.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    in the 1880s and extended to Paper Mill Road now is 8820 to 8850 Montgomery Avenue The Trotter name appears on the 1879 map of the area The Trotters or Prices built the house in the 1880s Susan Trotter Price whose husband was Samuel Goodman Jr who died in 1906 at age 28 in a jiujitsu accident lived in this house In 1922 the lot to the south of the Trotter family house was sold off Mr and Mrs Paul E Sutro were the next owners of the house selling it to the Woods in January 1947 By the 1930s the house pictured was demolished because the taxes were too high for the family to pay The lot to the north was partitioned and a house was built in 1949 at 8848 Montgomery Avenue by Okie architect for Mr and Mrs Richard D Wood Virginia Wood Wilmsen later The site of the present day 8848 is where the greenhouse was for the house pictured above The carriage house to this house was still standing until 1949 in bad repair so Mrs Wilmsen had it demolished The circular cinder pebble driveway from the Goodman house was still there until 1983 when

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_102_131_8820_8850_Montgomery.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Ross ARCHITECT Peabody Sterns CONTRACTOR William Patterson Known as Oakley this Tudor style stone dwelling was designed by Peabody Stearns one of New England s most prominent architectural firms at the turn of the century Peabody Stearns had very few commissions in Philadelphia and only one other in Chestnut Hill Krisheim on McCallum Street the home of Dr George and Getrude Woodward This was the residence of Frederick Strawbridge who

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_119_500_W_%20Moreland.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    but its ownership can be traced In a 1899 atlas of Chestnut Hill the property owner is listed as E C McVickar The 1905 Social Register indicates that Mr and Mrs Edward Rowland Edward K Rowland and Mr and Mrs George T Rowland lived on Newton across from Prospect Street The 1911 and 1923 atlases show that the property was owned by the Fidelity Trust Co Trustees The 1929 Chestnut

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_106_51_Newton.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Parsons Chandler CONTRACTOR George Hearst Located on the NW corner of Newton Street and Stenton Avenue this Victorian Gothic dwelling by Chandler one of the most prominent of the early architects working in Chestnut Hill was extensively altered by Mellor Meigs architects in 1909 after John Naylor took this photograph In its original form the architectural elements of this house are similar to those of 30 West Chestnut Hill Avenue

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_129_101_Newton.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •