archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Untitled Document
    Revival house was developed by Charles Taylor who was one of the principal builders in the northeast section of Chestnut Hill in the years after the Chestnut Hill Railroad later the Philadelphia Reading was constructed in 1854 Taylor was a grain merchant and developer who came to Chestnut Hill in 1849 He accumulated about 40 acres and opened up Norwood Avenue in 1860 This house later became the home of

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_72_8815_Norwood.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Untitled Document
    John Naylor Collection 1970 107 MAP NUMBER 56 DATE c 1864 ORIGINAL OWNER Edward Buckley ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown DEMOLISHED c 1948 Mt Stony the house of Edward Buckley was between 8815 Norwood Westleigh and the house at 8847 Norwood

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_107_8827_8845_Norwood.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    with many interior alterations Keen Mead architects yet another two story stone addition in 1901 interior alterations in 1904 and the removal of a three story wing to the house and a two story wing to the stable in 1914 The back left part of the building was demolished Chestnut Hill Hospital purchased it in 1954 The Chestnut Hill Historical Society helped to prevent its demolition in 1980 In 2000

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_89_8840_Norwood.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    was a native of St Austell Cornwall England and selected an English name from a place where his father owned a clay mine which furnished material for chinaware Theophilus Parsons Chandler architect added the south wing in 1881 and the lawn was extended by taking in the adjoining fields to the south and west The house was remodeled by Chandler in 1916 with a new three story addition and removal

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_75_8860_Norwood.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    NUMBER 58 DATE 1860 1861 ORIGINAL OWNER Richard C McMurtrie ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown Called Homestable and Low Hill this house is little altered since it was built E Nelson Edwards architect designed alterations in 1946 Originally the address of the home was 100 E Bells Mill Road However the frontage on Bells Mill Road was sold in the 1970s and a modern house was erected there At that time

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_60_8871_Norwood.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    150 Bethlehem Pike to 8410 Prospect in 1855 In 1884 Joseph Patterson bought the house from Childs for a summer residence and named it Grace Hill The house was enlarged c 1888 architect unknown The New York architect Clayton Gardner Harris added the two story stone addition and porches to the Victorian Gothic villa in 1904 In 1926 Willing Sims Talbutt architects altered the structure again This house is now

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_68_8410_Prospect.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    Chestnut Hill Historical Society John Naylor Collection 1970 44 MAP NUMBER 60 DATE 1902 ORIGINAL OWNER Samuel Goodman developer ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Thomas M Seeds Jr This dwelling is little changed from the day when Naylor shot this photograph The image also affords a clear view of 51 Rex Avenue a much earlier farmhouse Note that the stone retaining walls and the steps down to Shawnee Street still exist as

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_44_57_Rex.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Untitled Document
    1970 146 MAP NUMBER 61 DATE mid 19th century ORIGINAL OWNER Unknown ARCHITECT Unknown CONTRACTOR Unknown DEMOLISHED 1929 1954 The Williamson house appears to have originally been a rectangular three story Italianate style country house similar to 8836 Germantown Avenue

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/naylorphotos/Naylor_1970_45_121_146_201_Rex.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •