archive-org.com » ORG » C » CHHIST.ORG

Total: 234

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    a subscription library and finally a free library The stone building also included a second floor meeting room to be used by the Christian Hall Association a local philanthropic organization Williams gift of the library prohibited the main building from being used for secular activities so a wood frame building was added at the rear to give meeting space for other local groups By 1896 the library was merged into

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/01/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive


  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    travelers and stage drivers A tavern which once stood here was briefly taken over by British General Howe in December of 1777 who used it as his headquarters while he fought against Philadelphia s colonists during the Philadelphia campaign of the Revolutionary War Later the Pennsylvania Railroad station and the Route 23 trolley would help to connect Chestnut Hillers with jobs shopping and entertainment in other parts of Philadelphia and

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/02/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    in their carriages and later in their automobiles and give the proprietors their grocery lists at the curbside The orders would then be delivered to their homes later in the afternoon William Gillies recalled that it would not be unusual for his shop to receive a late night or early morning call to deliver a few dozen extra oysters to a party at one of Chestnut Hill s wealthier homes

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/03/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    passed through Chestnut Hill These inns also served as refuge for many urban Philadelphians when the city was hit by a yellow fever epidemic in 1793 Cress s hotel provided a countryside refuge from the disease as well as providing many with their first experience of Chestnut Hill It is thought that many of those who stayed here spread the word about Chestnut Hill s more hospitable summertime climate Chestnut

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/04/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    baked cakes for military hospitals staffed canteens gave luncheons for departing troops and supplied automobiles for nurses When the influenza epidemic of 1918 hit the women also aided those stricken by the disease After the war the group focused on social work such as housing reform settlement houses visiting nurses and cooking and dietary classes The organization was later made permanent as the Chestnut Hill Community Centre This building earlier

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/05/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    Hiram Lodge later moved to a new building at 8425 Germantown Avenue the building continued to be the home of some of the community s fraternal organizations including the Chestnut Hill Post of the Veterans of Foreign Wars who currently use the second floor of the building as their headquarters In 1966 concern over removal of the third floor led to a fund raising campaign to renovate the building The

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/06/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    to and from Germantown When the Statehouse Bell now better known as the Liberty Bell was spirited out of Philadelphia ahead of the British occupation of the city to prevent it from being melted down and made into musket balls the route to its hiding place in Allentown may have taken it along the Avenue right by this house After the Revolution the house s residents would have seen stagecoaches

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/07/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • A Walk on Germantown Avenue
    owned by men listed in city directories as victualers and butchers In the early twentieth century a plumbers shop was located in part of the building By the 1930s this site became the workshop and a small theater for Stagecrafters a local theater group originally formed under the auspices of the Germantown Women s Club In 1936 the building at the front of the property was joined to one in

    Original URL path: http://www.chhist.org/avenue/08/index.html (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •