archive-org.com » ORG » D » DOAKS.ORG

Total: 1818

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Historic Photographs — Dumbarton Oaks
    Beech Terrace early view of Terrace Gate from Beech Terrace to Green Garden 1 Gate from Beech Terrace to Green Garden 2 Gate from Beech Terrace to Green Garden 3 Brick walk and boxwood near Beech tree top of terrace steps Beech Terrace view of beech tree looking south Beech Terrace view of path and gate to Green Garden Beech Terrace brick walk down to terrace overlooking Pebble Garden Beech

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/beech-terrace/historic-photographs (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive


  • About the Bowling Green — Dumbarton Oaks
    stone piers and swags of bronze chain is broken in the center by steps set into a French inspired rocaille fountain Farrand drew inspiration for the Bowling Green from 18 th century Colonial period estate gardens many of which featured sunken ornamental lawns Farrand s original Bowling Green was enclosed on four sides In addition to the stone retaining wall in the south the other three sides were surrounded by decorative trelliswork Under Farrand s direction Ruth Havey drafted trellis designs in 1928 1929 She presented both Classical and Rococo options Mildred Bliss chose the Rococo trellis with a niche built into the eastern end to house sculpture Unfortunately the right artwork never presented itself For much of the 1930s two marble benches occupied the eastern niche A matching marble bathtub sat on the western end until it was moved northwest of the Terrior Column where it remains today For a short time in 1938 Dan Olney s statue of the Lady and the Unicorn stayed in the Bowling Green but it was shortly moved to Dumbarton Oaks Park When Dumbarton Oaks was given to Harvard University in 1940 many changes came to the Bowling Green As part of an effort to reduce the difficulty of greenspace upkeep across the entire garden Farrand recommended that the lawn be replaced with washed river gravel Low planting beds featuring ferns and hostas remained along the base of the surrounding wall and trellises However by the mid 1940s the trellises suffered from severe deterioration and rot Robert Patterson and John Thacher decided to remove the north trellis wall in 1949 1950 It was never replaced The eastern wall was removed for several years but was reconstructed in the 2000s With the loss of the northern trellis wall the Bowling Green became a more

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/bowling-green/about-the-bowling-green (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Drawings — Dumbarton Oaks
    Library Archives Garden Archives Drawings and Photographs by Garden Area Bowling Green Drawings Archive Navigation Garden Archives Home Contents Index Search Refine Help Drawings Info Drawings Come back later Document Actions Print this Share Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection 1703 32nd Street NW Washington DC 20007 Site Map Web Accessibility Contact Us Visit Us Staff Directory Employment Rights and Reproductions Staff Login Newsletter Webmail Service Desk 2014 Dumbarton Oaks

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/bowling-green/drawings (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historic Photographs — Dumbarton Oaks
    Garden Archives Drawings and Photographs by Garden Area Bowling Green Historic Photographs Archive Navigation Garden Archives Home Contents Index Search Refine Help Historic Photographs Info Historic Photographs Come back later Document Actions Print this Share Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection 1703 32nd Street NW Washington DC 20007 Site Map Web Accessibility Contact Us Visit Us Staff Directory Employment Rights and Reproductions Staff Login Newsletter Webmail Service Desk 2014 Dumbarton

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/bowling-green/historic-photographs (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • About the Box Walk — Dumbarton Oaks
    Box Walk gradually descends a long sloping hill to the Ellipse Paths lead east and west from the Box Walk to nearby garden areas like the Pebble Garden Cutting Garden and Crabapple Hill The walk terminates at the southern entrance to the Ellipse where it is flanked by stone pineapples the Blisses purchased at Christies in 1957 Ruth Havey placed the pineapples there in 1967 Farrand imagined the walk as an informal allée lined with dwarf box between 3 and 5 feet high Because the walkway leads down a significant incline she carefully spaced steps and long landings to keep climbers from becoming fatigued The stairway was originally constructed out of grass treads interspersed with stone risers but sometime in the late 1940s the entire walk was paved In 1959 Mildred Bliss had the steps refinished to match a diamond and ellipse paving design she d seen in a Gertrude Jekyll garden in Somerset England earlier that year The Box Walk is still lined entirely in dwarf box bushes although most of the original plants had to be replaced in the 1980s due to overgrowth and damage Beatrix Farrand favored boxwood and she used it heavily in her early designs

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/box-walk/about-the-box-walk (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • About the Catalogue House — Dumbarton Oaks
    educational displays about the garden Robert and Mildred Bliss dedicated the building to their close friends Vernon and Charlotte Kellogg The Blisses and Kelloggs worked together on relief efforts during the First World War Vernon Kellogg a professor of entomology at Stanford University served as director of the Commission for Relief in Belgium in 1915 1916 His wife Charlotte Kellogg worked alongside him She penned the lines of poetry that are inscribed along the Catalogue House s interior cornice Feathers in a row measured left to right how shall you chart the morning how track the heels of night Charlotte Kellogg also authored Women of Belgium Turning Tragedy to Triumph in 1917 The Catalogue House began to fulfill its educational purpose in 1940 when Harvard University opened the gardens to guided tours Anne Sweeney Garden Guide took her instructions from Beatrix Farrand Together the two women planned exhibits for the Catalogue House that featured illustrations of plants seasonally blooming in the gardens Sweeney designed and placed the exhibits under Farrand s supervision and she incorporated them into her guided tours of the grounds She especially focused on using the Catalogue House to educate school children After the Garden Guide tours

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/catalogue-house/about-the-catalogue-house (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Drawings — Dumbarton Oaks
    Archives Drawings and Photographs by Garden Area Catalogue House Drawings Archive Navigation Garden Archives Home Contents Index Search Refine Help Drawings Info Drawings Plan for exterior and interior elevations Catalogue House Document Actions Print this Share Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection 1703 32nd Street NW Washington DC 20007 Site Map Web Accessibility Contact Us Visit Us Staff Directory Employment Rights and Reproductions Staff Login Newsletter Webmail Service Desk 2014

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/catalogue-house/drawings (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historic Photographs — Dumbarton Oaks
    Navigation Garden Archives Home Contents Index Search Refine Help Historic Photographs Info Historic Photographs Cherry Hill view towards Catalogue House Cherry Hill snow covered view with Catalogue House Cherry Hill and Catalogue House general view 1 Cherry Hill and Catalogue House general view 2 Document Actions Print this Share Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection 1703 32nd Street NW Washington DC 20007 Site Map Web Accessibility Contact Us Visit Us

    Original URL path: http://www.doaks.org/library-archives/garden-archives/drawings-and-photographs-by-garden-area/catalogue-house/historic-photographs (2016-02-18)
    Open archived version from archive



  •