archive-org.com » ORG » H » HISTORICPRESERVATIONTRUST.ORG

Total: 46

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County – Dedicated to Preserving Berks County Properties
    Us Online Archive Welcome to Our Website The Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County is a diverse group of individuals united in a quest to acquire preserve and maintain historically and architecturally significant properties in Berks County Pennsylvania The Trust seeks to foster community involvement and support in promoting awareness and appreciation for the role these sites played in our American history Learn More About Our Organization Past Perfect Online

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive


  • About
    Berks County is a diverse group of individuals united in a quest to acquire preserve and maintain historically and architecturally significant properties in Berks County Pennsylvania The Trust seeks to foster community involvement and support in promoting awareness and appreciation for the role these sites played in our American history The Trust currently owns and maintains eight historically significant buildings in the greater Reading Berks County PA area Historic Properties Morlatton Village found just off the banks of the Schuylkill River consists of five historically and architecturally significant buildings the Covered Bridge Keeper s House the Douglassville Covered Bridge the George Douglass Mansion The White Horse Tavern and the Mouns Jones House The Mouns Jones House is the oldest standing structure in Berks County dating back to 1716 Morlatton Village located in Douglassville PA presents a great opportunity for a day out A picnic in the field a bike ride down the Thun Trail or a day out taking photographs of historically significant architecture are just some of the ways you could spend a day at Morlatton Village The Hottenstein House Johan DeTurk Cabin and Jacob Keim Farmstead located in Kutztown Oley and Pike Township PA respectively round out the Trust s portfolio of historically significant properties Tours are available by appointment Please contact the Trust for information An all volunteer organization the Trust also hosts events such as the Mouns Jones Country Fair Harvest Festival the annual Christmas Tea and various other luncheons outings and gatherings Additionally for a small donation to the Trust our buildings and grounds can be used for your group events or gatherings such as camping trips scout trips birthday parties weddings or anniversaries For more information about using a Trust property for your event please contact us for more information The Trust is always

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/about/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • History
    active member of the National Trust of Historic Preservation the Berks County Trust initiated a survey of 180 local structures in order to identify investigate and evaluate their historical importance in relation to our larger American heritage In depth research revealed a number of architecturally significant buildings whose very survival was threatened by deterioration or community development The gravity of the potential loss of these historical structures to the community clearly indicated the need for the Trust to develop an aggressive agenda for their preservation By 1966 the Trust was pressing forward to preserve and maintain historic sites and structures in Berks County on its endangered list In addition to protesting forcefully the destruction of numerous important buildings it offered advice and the benefits of its own experience to individuals and communities in need of professional help On several occasions it enlisted the aid of the Commonwealth placed markers on numerous key sites and gathered historical information land surveys and old photographs Today the all volunteer membership of the Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County continues this important work The Trust currently owns and maintains eight historic properties in Berks County In realistic financial terms the Preservation Trust recognizes it

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/about/history/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Board of Directors
    a Member Volunteer Make A Donation News Updates Contact Us Online Archive Board of Directors Elected July 2014 President John Hibschman Vice President Bradford Kissam Recording Secretary Lauren Archibald Financial Secretary Brian Boyer Treasurer Richard Almquist Board Members Richard Almquist Lauren Archibald Matthew Barnhart Brian Boyer Peter Hammond Vicky Heffner John Hibschman Thomas Keim Bradford Kissam James Lewars Zachary Long Amanda Machik Vickie Moyer Michelle Lynch Susan Miller Speros Philip

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/about/board-of-directors/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historic Sites
    Jones house the Douglass Mansion and the White Horse Inn Covered Bridge Keepers House circa 1780 or 1830 Located adjacent to the Mouns Jones House the Covered Bridge Keepers House served as the residence of the primary caretaker of the Douglassville Covered Bridge The HPTBC began restoring the property in 1965 and significant restoration challenges still exist to this day George Douglass Mansion circa 1763 Originally built and inhabited by colonial entrepreneur George Douglass the mansion remains an impressive example of Georgian architecture The Trust acquired the building in 1988 and began restoration which is ongoing to this day Douglassville PA home to Morlatton Village was named after George Douglass Mouns Jones House circa 1716 Built by early Swedish settler Mouns Jones and his family the house is the oldest document dwelling in Berks County The HPTBC began restoration of the property in 1965 The Mouns Jones House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places White Horse Inn circa 1762 Purchased by the HPTBC in 1970 the White Horse Inn was visited by former President George Washington during Colonial times The White Horse has undergone extensive restoration throughout the years but still holds its Colonial Character The White Horse Inn is listed on the National Register of Historic Places Hottenstein House Located just outside Kutztown PA the main house was built in 1783 by David and Catherine Hottenstein The house is an outstanding example of German style detailing added to a standard Georgian floor plan The house remained in the Hottenstein Family until 1976 when it was donated to the HPTBC The Hottenstein House in listed on the National Register of Historic Places Johan DeTurk Cabin The DeTurk Cabin has been recognized by the U S Government as an important architectural survivor from the Colonial Period and is

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Morlatton Village
    dwelling in Berks County and considered to be the oldest extant structure ever built in the county It is a two and a half story sandstone structure containing two chimneys The corner chimney is derived from Swedish architectural traditions The home has endured several monumental floods and additional accidental fire damage and by 1961 was in a complete state of disrepair The Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County embarked on a three year restoration project beginning in 1965 Bridge Keepers House 1730 or 1830 The Bridge Keepers house is a one and a half story sandstone structure with a single interior chimney It is a one room building with a relatively large open attic space Vacant since 1957 the building was donated to the historic Preservation by the Trust Since its donation the Trust has diligently restored the building despite numerous flooding and other structural challenges The Bridge Keepers House is adjacent to the Mouns Jones House on the banks of the Schuylkill River George Douglass Mansion 1763 The George Douglass Mansion is two and a half mansion that was one of the first full blown Georgian structures in the region The building is a central passage double pile Georgian type structure with five bays The exterior consists of fine cut sand stone a plaster cove cornice and evidence of a pent roof The interior of the building is currently under restoration Douglassville PA home to Morlatton Village is named after George Douglass White Horse Inn Circa 1762 The White Horse Inn is of Georgian Style and its principle façade constructed of dressed sandstone Built circa 1727 by Marcus Huling and later enlarged by George Douglass the building served as a tavern during Colonial times The White Horse was purchased by the Trust ion 1970 and has undergone significant restoration

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/morlatton-village/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Covered Bridge Keepers House
    feet wide had two lanes and had two spans meaning there was a support pier midway across the river The road from this bridge led onto the King s Highway The King s Highway is modern day Old Philadelphia Pike Also the road that led to the bridge today s lane to the Mounce Jones house apparently followed an eighteenth century property line On September 2 1850 a flood damaged the bridge to the point that it had to be rebuilt This 1850 flood washed away every bridge over the Schuylkill River from Pottsville to Royersford when the river rose twenty five feet When the Klapperthal Dam was breached a canal boat broke loose and floated down stream and eventually rammed the northern span of the Douglassville Bridge carrying it away The Douglassville Bridge Company contracted Messrs McKently and Linderman to rebuild the bridge They bought what was remaining of the Lancaster Bridge span at a cost of 1 600 In 1851 the bridge was rebuilt using one span from the Lancaster Bridge which had been washed down river to a meadow near Douglassville in the same flood that ruined the Douglassville Bridge The Lancaster Bridge had been located at Bingaman Street in Reading The washed away portion of the Douglassville Bridge was used to replace a span at Kenilworth in Montgomery County Scarcity and high prices of lumber was a burden in repairing bridges The Douglassville Bridge was the second bridge to be rebuilt in the county after the flood Then on October 4 1869 another flood washed out the eastern half of the bridge During this flood the Schuylkill River rose twenty three feet The first toll house stood on the Douglassville side of the bridge but this was later replaced by one on the Union Township side In a May 8 1869 article from the Berks and Schuylkill Journal was found the following Auctioneer Lyon sold last Tuesday afternoon at the commissioners office Reading the stocks hold by the county in the several bridge companies within its limits The stock was sold in lots of 5 shares each and was purchased by different individuals at the following rates 55 shares of Douglassville Bridge stock at from 20 00 to 25 00 per share A May 17 1876 Reading Eagle article had the following information A Union Township father filed suit against the bridge company for trying to charge a one cent toll for his children on their way to and from school Another Reading Eagle article from October 19 1876 stated that local citizens were petitioning to make the bridge free from tolls People could pay their toll when they crossed or pay a set price for the entire year Each individual bridge company determined its own prices Typical tolls for the period were 1 cent foot passenger 6 cents 20 sheep 10 cents 20 swine 20 cents 20 cattle 4 cents horse or mule 6 cents horse with rider 12 1 2 cents sulky and horse

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/morlatton-village/covered-bridge-keepers-house/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • George Douglass Mansion
    The Drawing will certainly begin on the 29th of January next The Prizes will be published in this Gazette and the Dutch Newspaper and will be paid after a Deduction of 15 per Cent when the Drawing is finished by the Managers who sign the Tickets respectively Tickets are now selling by the Managers and by John Ross Esq and George Honey in Philadelphia Jacob Levan Esq in Maxatawny George Douglas in Amity and Henry William Steigel at Elizabeth Furnace In addition to the political and social positions held by Douglass he also ran a store at his property The store which the Douglass family ran at this location was apparently dealing with mass quantities of iron from the local ironmasters in this iron rich region Some letters shed light on this fact In June 1796 David Rutter owed the Douglass L168 for boating iron In 1801 Dewees a local ironmaster informed George Douglass Jr that he had a load of iron ready for him That same year Andrew Douglass brother to George Jr was running an iron business in Philadelphia and was in hopes that a fine parcel of iron could be sent down as he was sure there were a few tons of plates for sheet iron lying around The 1781 tax list had George Douglass owning 1 350 pounds of merchantable goods In 1769 the store was robbed and a notice for reward which sheds light on the kinds of goods the Douglass were dealing in was posted as follows FIFTEEN POUNDS Reward BROKE open and robbed the shop of the subscriber living in Berks county of the following articles and cash on the 11th instant at night 1 piece fine Holland marked 6s 6d per yard sundry remnants coarser linen sundry remnants apron check sundry pieces and remnants shirting ditto 1 piece half yd wd Cross barred red and white Damascus 1 piece ditto 3 yrds Wd White and yellow 20 yards green narrow Persian 1 remnant black ditto 3 yards black peeling 10 strings mock garnet beads sundry silk handkerchiefs 8 yards white silk gauze 8 pair mens worsted hose 4 pair mens buckskin gloves 20 yards embossed flannel blue red and yellow flowers 1 new great coat of grey duffel 1 dozen fine checked Holland handkerchiefs 4 pair oiled leather breeches 1 middling buckskin 1 small ditto English dressed 1 copper teakettle pewter tankard tea sugar and loaf ditto gartering and sundry things not now mentioned the cash chiefly silver copper and small bills to the amount of about Three Pounds Any person that will apprehend the thief or thieves with the goods so that the owner may have them again and the thieves brought to conviction shall have the above reward or TEN POUNDS for the goods only paid by George Douglass After George Douglass Jr inherited the property he too became active in local affairs Like his father he was a vestryman at St Gabriel s from 1800 to 1806 In 1829

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/morlatton-village/george-douglass-mansion/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive



  •