archive-org.com » ORG » H » HISTORICPRESERVATIONTRUST.ORG

Total: 46

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • White Horse Inn
    very good place to locate an inn By 1751 the Pennsylvania Gazette described the location as a thriving inn More fascinating than the list of owners of this property is the type of activities which were done at the inn A 1740 issue of the Pennsylvania Gazette listed an advertisement seeking to recruit troops for a British expedition against the Spanish West Indies This same advertisement which was during the War of Jenkins Ear advised all potential army enlistees for an expedition to the West Indies that Mr Huling s in Manatawny was serving as one of twenty recruiting stations in the province The War of Jenkins Ear was a struggle between England and Spain that grew out of commercial rivalry and ultimately led to the War of Austrian Succession In 1740 Pennsylvania was a still a colony of England and liable to support her in such matters During the Revolutionary War the tavern was a mustering place for the Continental levies and a training ground for militia It was apparently common for inns to not only be recruiting stations in the 18th Century but also locations for public meetings and public announcements to be posted Voting of local townships would also have taken place here In 1746 Huling s neighbor Andrew Sadowski posted the following notice On the 4th of this instant was lost from Andrew Sadowski of the Township of Amity the sum of about thirty pounds in gold viz three half johanneses one double doubloon and the remainder in muicores It was tied up in a piece of linen cloth with a hickory bark about it Whoever shall find the said gold and send it to Marcus Huling shall have five pounds reward Later Sheriff Sales election parties and meetings of the Society for the Prevention of Horse Thievery were also held at this stagecoach stop In 1801 notices in Reading newspapers invited all friends of the Christian religion to attend the cornerstone laying of the Episcopal Church at Morlatton at the White Horse in Amity Township on Saturday June 6 1801 at eleven o clock a m when there will be preaching in both English and German On March 2 1803 John Yocum advertised a 40 reward for the return of a dark bay horse which was stolen out of his stable near the White Horse Tavern on the night of February 27th or 28th By 1778 tavern licenses cost three Pounds annually for the retailing of wines and liquors According to records found in the Pennsylvania Historical Society a William Shippen sold one pipe of Madeira wine from a government hospital store to Henry Haffa who kept the inn for 400 Pounds During its existence the tavern housed many notably people George Washington visited the property twice On November 10 1793 during an inspection tour of Reading in the aftermath of the yellow fever epidemic he stopped at the inn Washington was riding a Rappahannock mare and was traveling with his secretary and nephew Bartholomew

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/morlatton-village/white-horse-inn/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Mouns Jones House
    to the Governor s hands on the 9th and now the Governor desires the opinion of the board whether he should go or send to them being it said in the letter they are going with their belts of the Five Nations and it is the opinion of the board the assembly now sitting and the Governor s presence being required here and the letter coming too late to his hands the sheriff or some other sufficient person be immediately dispatched to enquire further of their business to acquaint them of the time the Governor received their letter and engage them to Philadelphia in their way if it may be with their convenience or appoint some nearer place to meet the Governor The public affair here requiring his presence Later in life Mounce Jones would donate a portion of his land for the construction of St Gabriel s Church Services were held as early as 1708 in the region by Reverend Andrew Sandel Morlatton Church St Gabriel s would operate from 1719 to 1753 as a de facto interdenominational congregation consisting of Swedish Lutherans German Lutherans and Anglicans Morlatton Church was the first organized religious congregation in the county In 1763 St Gabriel s completed its conversion to the Church of England According to Raymond Elliott When the Swedes could no longer secure a supply of missionary clergy from their own country they decided not to keep a separate organization but entered into full communion and fellowship with the Church of England The original church was a hewn log structure and was later replaced by the stone chapel The log building stood near the eastern edge of the St Gabriel s property was a twenty four foot by thirty foot one story structure that had a doorway which faced east The old stone chapel was completed in 1801 After the stone building was put into use the log structure was used as a school house until it burned in 1832 The tuition to attend the school was four cents a day or 2 50 for three months The current chapel at this location was built in 1884 The old stone chapel on the St Gabriel s Church property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 8 1978 After John Kirlin acquired the Mounce Jones property he built a smith shop on the property Kirlin s blacksmith shop was probably directly across the street from the George Douglass mansion The stone foundation under the modern house at this location consists of sandstone laid in an eighteenth century fashion It is possible that the current house sits upon the foundation of Kirlin s blacksmith shop During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries the house went through a variety of uses For a time the house was used as a hotel by lumber raftsmen from Schuylkill County By 1915 the building was used as a club for lawyers and as a place to picnic On June 17 1916 a 200th Anniversary celebration was held at the property and was attended by the Historic Society and by a descendant of Mounce Jones Then the building was used as dwelling until 1932 Architectural History The house is the oldest documented dwelling in Berks County It was built in 1716 by Mounce and Ingabor Jones While this building is considered to be the oldest extant structure in the county it is by no means the first structure that was ever built in Berks County Also considering the amount of restoration and reconstruction that the building has gone through it is hard to truly consider it the oldest standing structure in the county The original structure on the property was probably a log structure located somewhere on the river side of the current structure A foundation for this structure had been located during the restoration of the house The current house itself stands at the south end of what was the original 498 acre tract acquired by Mounce Jones in 1701 It is a two and a half story sandstone structure Stone construction was adopted by the Swedes only after the mass immigration of English and Welsh Quakers to Pennsylvania in the 1680s Prior to this period the Swedes were known for their log structures Clearly this house reflects the fact that the Swedes were quickly becoming acculturated into Anglo American society Originally the building would have been a 20 by 36 foot home in the style of an English hall parlor home with casement style windows There also was a deep cellar which was filled in over the years by continuous flooding by the Schuylkill River At some point the original partition wall on the first floor was removed this wall would have divided the hall and parlor There is a corner fireplace in the parlor representing lingering Swedish influence and a gable roof At some point the second floor had been divided into three small rooms with a hall running from east to west for access on the river side The house was one of the few river front properties to survive the 1850 flooding of the Schuylkill River During the nineteenth century the property suffered much flood damage By 1916 the property was being flooded regularly At least by 1937 the house s stone walls and been plastered over and the roof was covered by slate shingles In 1952 while workers were burning debris during the removal of the Douglassville Covered Bridge the roof caught fire and later collapsed from heavy snowfall in 1958 By 1961 the structure was in ruins and was regularly being flooded by the Schuylkill River and contained a heavy deposit of silt in the cellar and first floor The roof and second floor had collapsed along with the entire eastern elevation Part of the northeastern chimney had fallen as well The area around the house was heavily wooded and overgrown In 1963 the original date stone was stolen from the building However it was

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/morlatton-village/mouns-jones-house/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Hottenstein House
    local community The fact they helped found Kutztown University attests to this fact Also with so many of them being in the medical profession people would have sought them for advice and medical help At least some of the Hottenstein men operated their medical practices on the property Also the home is located on what was a major artery even in the 18th Century At the time the home was constructed Route 222 was known as the Easton Road Architectural History The main house was built in 1783 by David and Catherine Hottenstein The house is an outstanding example of German style detailing added to a standard Georgian floor plan The two and a half story building is made of limestone with dressed stone on the principle façade and rubble stone on the three remaining sides The cornice and eaves of the original block consist of crown mold fascia modillioned soffit with Greek key mold between modillions and bed mold Each soffit corner has carved sunflowers between modillions There is a belt course and a water course carved from native sandstone even though the majority of the structure is made from limestone Also there are sandstone lintels with a raised key stone over each window The unique date stones are also made from carved sandstone All the exterior openings in the structure are original and unaltered A number of shutters which appear to be original to the structure are currently stored in the attic of the summer kitchen The house is completely unique to the area for its style workmanship and detail The interior features original mantles and paneling corner cupboards and hand wrought hardware The central hall of the interior is elaborately decorated with pilasters pediments fluting and crown molding among other things Most of the original woodwork is intact with some original paint including stippling and graining The door between the current kitchen and the dining room is not original the frame of this opening dates from between 1840 1860 The original stair to the basement would have been a winding stair The wood work and detailing from the current kitchen has been completely gutted some of this work was moved to the large second floor bedroom All of the interior locks are Germanic Most of the doors in the house are supported by rat tail pintles The attic door is hung on ram s horn hinges These types of features give this Georgian home a Germanic overtone The asymmetry of the paneling may suggest unfamiliarity with the Georgian aesthetic The three room plan on both floors can be interpreted as either a Germanic survival plus central hall plan or an adaptation of a central hall English Georgian plan The rear kitchen ell was built around 1847 and supposedly is made from stones from a church that once stood near Bowers Road The windows and trim of this wing are of the Federal style There is also a summer kitchen which was attached to the main house by

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/hottenstein-house/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Johan DeTurk Cabin
    DeTurk also took part in local political maneuverings A petition for the creation of the Oley Road was signed by Isaac DeTurk in 1717 Apparently however the road was not approved until 1719 It is believed that modern day Route 662 is the Oley Road The northern most stretch of the Great Road from Oley to Philadelphia would have been the road that runs from Route 662 along the creek and past the DeTurk house In 1720 Isaac signed the failed petition for the creation of Oley Township Oley Township was not created until 1740 It seems that by the mid to late 19th century the old ancillary property no longer had a significant function A 1935 Reading Eagle article stated that the structure was the home for a family of hogs It had also been used to house migrant workers Architectural History Located near Oley very close to the Manatawny Creek it was an ancillary house located on the property of Johan and Deborah DeTurk Johan had built the larger stone house which is located across the street It was later in life that Johan and Deborah built and moved into this more modest ancillary house The doorway lintel has the inscription Johan DeTirck 1767 Debora DeTircken inscribed on it The building is an example of the Huguenot and Germanic influence on the Oley Valley and is a bank house The structure is a one and a half story one room plan building There is a gable end entrance with doors and shutters with painted bird and flower motifs At least in 1931 there was an interior wall cupboard that also had a painted decoration These painted motifs are also reflected in Pennsylvania German painted blanket chests of the same period The ground floor consists of a vaulted cellar with a kitchen on the north end The cellar proper is separated from the kitchen by a stone wall There is no staircase to the first floor The chimney at the rear of the structure services not only the kitchen fireplace but also the smaller fireplace on the first floor The first floor is a single room with a narrow unfinished winding stair not an original to the attic The attic is an open space There is no significant trim work i e chair rails cornice and base boards There is a massive chamfered summer beam in the building This seems unusual since the building is small enough to be spanned by joists However if heavy objects were being stored upstairs the summer beam would become a necessity this could account for the loading door at the attic level in the gable end With a door and pulley the garret was utilized as a granary The clay tiles for the roof were hand made The pent roofs of the building are open on the end According to Ken LeVan this is a virtually absent feature in this region which is quite common in Europe At some point a large truck

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/johan-deturk-cabin/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Jacob Keim Farmstead
    floor plan which includes a kitchen on one side of a centrally located fireplace and a stove room or family space and a bedroom on the opposite side of this fireplace The central stone chimney is capped by a brick section which protrudes the roof line The original house block has segmented arches over all exterior openings At some point as the family grew larger the northern block was added There is no interior access to the addition except through the attic There is Federal style trim in the addition The porches were probably added in the 19 th century On the south side façade a second floor door originally opened onto a balcony which interrupted the pent roof line The balcony no longer exists The finish work in the house is for the most part original Located adjacent to the main house is a rubble stone outbuilding or ancillary house This structure dates to circa 1753 and is Germanic in character as well Apparently this 1 ½ story structure was used as Keim s turner s shop The building has a vaulted root cellar for the storage of perishable vegetables and is built into a bank Also there is a spring flowing through the cellar Part of the basement was whitewashed and used for dairying This structure is very similar to Pennsylvania German bank barns with a working basement and a vertical link between the floors The window and door openings have segmented arches which are similar to those on the main house There is evidence that there originally was a partition wall that separated the kitchen from the turner s shop on the main floor Also there is an aperture for a jamb stove in the kitchen The chimney is centrally located and the roof is covered with tiles laid on lathe boards There is a great deal of evidence in the ancillary house showing aspects of its use as a turner s shop by Keim Remnants of stanchions for the pole lathe are attached to the ceiling and there are racks for chair parts There is a depression in the floor where the foot treadle for the lathe abraded it To the left of the lathe was a large iron door that opened into the flue of the fireplace below workers could open the door and sweep shavings into this fireplace Originally there was an enclosed chamber adjoining the chimney stack used as a drying kiln for the turner s wood this was previously thought to be a smoke chamber The large window in the gable end was for back lighting the lathe which is helpful when turning wood The big window around the corner would have provided more light to the work area By 1958 the structure was vacant and used as a storage space In the 1970 s the Hartman cider press was moved to the Keim property from the farm of Elam Fox near Pricetown It was placed on the foundation of a former

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/jacob-keim-farmstead/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Host Your Event
    A Donation News Updates Contact Us Online Archive Host Your Event The Trust s historic properties provide the perfect backdrop for your special occasion or event By making a contribution to The Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County you can use one of the properties for your group event and have a truly wonderful time The buildings and properties restored and cared for by the Trust are ideal for Larger Group Gatherings Picnics Cookouts Scouting Trips Scout Camping Trip School Field Trips Weddings AND MORE The White Horse Tavern located in historic Morlatton Village Douglassville PA is an intimate fully restored 1700 s tavern It includes a modern kitchen making food preparation and service possibile for your event If you require catering the White Horse Tavern can help by recommending a great caterer if your group does not have one in mind already The White Horse Tavern is the perfect setting for Special Occasions Birthday Parties Engagement Parties Wine Tastings Small meetings and gatherings AND MORE All gathering outings are by appointment only and must be coordinated with the Trust in a timely manner Scheduling is on a first come first served basis Please contact the Trust for more information

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/host-your-event/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Current Projects
    architectural survivor from the American colonial period this modest yet elegant dwelling or multipurpose ancillary building is documented in the Library of Congress by photographs drawings and text data sheets within the Historic American Buildings Survey archives Its thick stone walls pent roof doorway hood one room floor plan massive summer beam vaulted cellar paint decoration and other surviving and some lost structural features and decorative details are characteristic of the Germanic Moravian and Huguenot cultural influences and skills of Oley s earliest European settlers and reflect the inherited medieval craft traditions employed by them Despite the enduring quality of the construction materials and methods used by its builders this prime example of Pennsylvania rural domestic architecture is now endangered As the photos show decades of intrusion of surface runoff and flood water have eroded the foundation mortar and its arched vault supports and have caused widening cracks and threatening shifts in critical areas of the walls This erosion gravity and other natural forces and stresses have seriously impaired the capacity of the foundation masonry and structural timbers to carry the wall floor framing and roof loads The Trust and its consultants have developed a comprehensive program to divert the surface water away from the building by re grading the abutting ground areas and constructing a retaining wall to deflect the runoff to the creek bank over the natural drainage course Flood damage mitigation will also be given significant emphasis in the remediation plan The structural remedy includes re setting displaced foundation stones and vault segments and applying traditionally formulated bed mortar and tooled weather pointing to secure and protect the historic stone walls The Trust and its consultants have developed a comprehensive program to divert the surface water away from the building by re grading the abutting ground areas

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/historic-properties/current-projects/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Event Calendar
    for Fall Into Berks History House Tour Mouns Jones Plantation Day Christmas Tea in December Resources Newsletters Online Archive Information Links of Interest Support Us Be a Corporate Sponsor Architectural Atlas Become a Member Volunteer Make A Donation News Updates Contact Us Online Archive Event Calendar Christmas Tea December 2015 The date for the annual Christmas Tea will be December 2 2015 Invitations will be mailed out at a later date so keep an eye out for your invitation Keim Music Fest Saturday September 26 2015 from 11 00 am 5 00 pm Rain or Shine come help support the Keim Homestead Restoration There will be two music stages including a kid family stage Play your own instrument Come join other musicians in the Ukulele Music All Day Jam Lunch Options Available For more information click here Fall into Berks History House Tour and 50th Anniversary Celebration September 2015 Details will be posted as they become available Christmas Tea December 2015 Details will be posted as they become available Online Donations Accepted Help support the Historic Preservation Trust with your online donation today using Paypal Newsletter Click here to read the Old Morlatton Village Messenger Quick Links Access Online Archives

    Original URL path: http://www.historicpreservationtrust.org/event-calendar/ (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive



  •