archive-org.com » ORG » M » MEDFORDHISTORY.ORG

Total: 24

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Dr Still Center for Education
    Other sessions in the series will be The Dr James Still Story and You on Saturday April 2 2016 and Can the Dr Still Education Center Become and Anchor for the Community on Saturday June 4 On May 7 11 Ground Penetrating Radar will be used to survey the foundations of Dr Still s home The magnificent mansard roofed house was torn down in 1932 The house was originally constructed in 1849 and enlarged twice over the years as Dr Still became more affluent Dr James Still 1812 1882 a renowned herbalist was known as The Black Doctor of the Pines The Dr James Still Historic Office Site is owned by the State of New Jersey and operated by the Medford Historical Society For more information on programs and events please visit www medfordhistory org Drstillcenter or follow us on Facebook at Drjamesstill The mission of the Dr James Still Historic Site and Education Center is to preserve and interpret the legacy of Dr James Still known as the Black Doctor of the Pines and the town he called home The site was the first African American site purchased by the state for historic preservation and was leased to the Medford Historical Society in 2013 Dr James Still Historic Site Background We have all driven past it countless times that non descript small empty house sitting just beyond the Crossroads on Church Road Covered in old siding and fronted with a dated broken porch railing it hardly calls out to us as one of Medford s most important historical sites Yet in the mid 1800 s that building was the medical office of Dr James Still known to his diverse clientele as The Black Doctor of the Pines Dr James Still 1812 1885 a renowned herbalist and homeopathic healer was born at Indian Mills and resided in Burlington County most of his life He was one of 18 children born to former slaves Levin and Charity Still and his brothers included famed abolitionist William Still and Peter Still who rescued himself from slavery Born into poverty and mostly self educated James Still became one of the wealthiest men in Burlington County and owned land along Church Road in Medford from Cross Roads the intersection of Church and Mt Holly Roads to Wilkins Station He built a fine house with a small office next door and developed a hospital in an old tavern on Route 541 He married twice and had eight children James Still s story was one of hard work thrift and saving He prospered through his own industry and gave much of the credit to Providence He and his family experienced poverty and prejudice but persevered with faith modesty and frugality Dr Still recorded the story of his life and philosophy in an autobiography Early Recollections and Life of Dr James Still published in 1877 Dr Still rebuilt and enlarged his home three times until it was a substantial mansard roofed edifice Unfortunately it was torn down in

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/drstillcenter/index.php (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Cross Keys School | Medford Historical Society
    brother in law Lester S Gager the building operated as a school until 1927 After the closing in 1927 the property reverted to the Thackara family Cross Keys School Cross Keys School Cross Keys School Cross Keys School Cross Keys School Cross Keys School In 1947 Florence Thackara granddaughter of Samuel deeded the property to Allen J Wilkins His widow Margaret Gaskill sold the property to Tony Gatowski In 1976 the lot on which the Cross Keys Schoolhouse stood was bought by McDonald s and the school was to be destroyed Mr Gatowski donated the building to the Township of Medford thereby saving an important example of 19th century one room education Medford Historic Society Medford NJ 2016 MHS Website by Vdesigned Contact Us Current Era The building was moved to its current location on Mill Street in 1976 Currently the building owned by the town of Medford and situated on school property is under the care of the Medford Historical Society which is responsible for maintaining the building and overseeing various programs which are open to the community free of charge Today the school looks much like it did when it was in use in the late 1800 s and early 1900 s The building is a simple A frame structure with a small front addition that once served as a vestibule and a wood and coal bin There are three windows on each of the three sides of the building and one window and a door in the front Each window is protected by a single working shutter The school has a New Jersey sandstone foundation that supports the building which is twenty six feet long and twenty two feet wide Inside the walls are plaster and the floor is made of three and one half inch tongue

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/crosskeyschool/index.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Kirby's Mill | Medford Historical Society
    Member Programs Locate Us Local History Dr Still Center Cross Keys School Kirby s Mill Kirby s Mill History Kirby s Mill Operations Restoring Kirby s Mill Events Quilt Show Country Day Art Show Sale Flea Market Apple Festival Santa

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/km.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Kirby's Mill History | Medford Historical Society
    at about this same time William S Kirby bought the mill complex in 1877 and again changes were made In the next few years the roof was lifted adding a fourth floor Another major change was the removal of the water wheel to be replaced by several more efficient water turbines It was in this era that the complex was at the height of productivity The sawmill was kept busy sawing logs for shipment not only to local lumber yards but also to Philadelphia and Baltimore buyers The gristmill was producing wheat flour buckwheat and rye flour along with cornmeal and chicken feed The flour which was produced here was of very good quality and was much in demand by bakeries along the east coast By World War I more modern machinery had replaced the millstones and the mill stopped producing flour in the 1920 s and concentrated more on livestock feed The sawmill finally shut down because of the lack of local timber The blacksmith and wheelwright shop closed down with the coming of the automobile The gristmill stayed in operation under water power until 1961 when because of low water and mechanical problems it was converted to electricity It was still in partial operation in 1969 when the Medford Historical Society purchased it from the Kirby Brothers This mill was the last operating commercial mill in New Jersey The mill was declared a State Historical Site in July of 1971 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites in September of 1972 It is the hope of the Medford Historical Society to restore the complex to working order so that our generation and future generations can wander back into the past and see part of early Americana To date restoration efforts have included the replacement of

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/kirbysmillhistory/index.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Kirby's Mill Operations | Medford Historical Society
    Keys School Kirby s Mill Kirby s Mill History Kirby s Mill Operations Restoring Kirby s Mill Events Quilt Show Country Day Art Show Sale Flea Market Apple Festival Santa at the Mill Kirby s Mill Medford NJ Operation as a GristMill Kirby s Grist Mill Operations from David Vaughn on Vimeo Medford Historic Society Medford NJ 2016 MHS Website by Vdesigned Contact Us Instructional Video This informative video was

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/kirbysmilloperations/index.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Kirby's Mill Restoration
    in the Restoration Old overhang removed Mr Campbell Mill Consultant and assistants measuring water from upper pond to lower area Mr Campbell Mill Consultant and assistants measuring water from upper pond to lower area Mr Campbell Mill Consultant and assistants measuring water from upper pond to lower area Mr Campbell Mr Campbell Mr Campbell Mill Consultant and John Hines current Museum Curator Kirby s Mill Restoration Kirby s Mill Restoration

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/kirbysmillrestoration/index.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Events | Medford Historical Society
    Show at Kirby s Mill Large collection and display of handmade quilts by members of the Historical Society and other quilters Free Admission Second Full Weekend in June 10 00 am 4 00 pm each day Kirby s Mill 275 Church Rd Medford NJ 08055 FREE parking is available off Fostertown Road Admission is FREE with donations accepted A boutique will be available sponsored by the Berry Basket Quilters Refreshments

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/events/index.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Quilt Show | Medford Historical Society
    other quilters Free Admission Second Full Weekend in June 10 00 am 4 00 pm each day Kirby s Mill 275 Church Rd Medford NJ 08055 FREE parking is available off Fostertown Road Admission is FREE with donations accepted A boutique will be available sponsored by the Berry Basket Quilters Refreshments will also be available in the Mill kitchen For further information contact Theresa Freedman at 856 625 2256 Call

    Original URL path: http://www.medfordhistory.org/events/qulitshow/index.html (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive



  •