archive-org.com » ORG » R » ROME-TOURS.ORG

Total: 39

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • The Trevi Fountain - Rome Tours Company
    same time to bring the water Aqua Virgo to Rome in the first century before Christ through an aqueduct from the source of Salone 19 Km out Rome among the street Casilina and the street Collatina from the South East of Rome The fountain was built by Nicolò Salvi in 1735 under pope Clemente XII and decorated by various assistants of the Bernini The left bas relief shows Agrippa submitting the project of the aqueduct to August while the right bas relief shows the August soldiers meeting with the virgin who shows them the source At the center under the vault of the palace of the Oceans the god Neptune is represented on a chariot with a form of an oyster pulled by winged horses one calm the other shaken and they are to mean the two states of the natural events The horses are them too hauled by newts The fountain is set to palazzo Poli belonging to dukes Poli s family and it s today the center of the institute of the Italian Poligraphics The works of restauration in 1991 have done in way to give back to the fountain of Trevi its ancient shine and its elegance doing unquestionably one of the places most visited by the people of the whole world The piazza is not never empty even during the night Legend of the Trevi Fountain The legend says that in that countryside the soldiers of August thirsty were looking for water and meeting a Virgin lady they would have let her maintain the virginity if she had shown them the exact place of the source The legend also says that a foreigner launching three coins in the fountain behind his shoulders ensures his return to Rome Rome Tour Attractions Trevi Fountain The most famous fountain

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/trevi-fountain.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Piazza Navona - Rome Tours Company
    Games that still has the shape and dimensions 240x65mt of the Stadium of Domitian the Roman Emperor of the Flavian family 81 96 A D on which remains are the actual buildings delimitating this area On its western side there is Palazzo Pamphili made by Girolamo Rainaldi from 1644 to 1650 and today seat of the Brazilian Embassy with Pietro da Cortona s frescoes in the principal room s vault The church of Sant Agnese in Agone was began by Girolamo Rainaldi in 1632 and finished in 1650 almost entirely built by Borromini On the opposite side the church of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore its facade was built by Bernardo Rossellino for the Jubilee of 1450 The monumental complex of the square has three fountains the Fountain of the Moor the Fountain of the Neptune also called fountain of Calderari for the vicinity of many workshops nearby with their basins designed and built by Giacomo Della Porta and the famous Fountain of the Four Rivers began in 1647 and finished in 1651 by Gianlorenzo Bernini under Pope Gregorio XIII and representing the four most important rivers of the epoch and the four cardinal points of the world the Danube for Europe with a horse the Nile for Africa with a lion the Rio de la Plata for the Americas with an armadillo and the Gange for Asia with a snake Actually we can see sightseeing around Piazza Navona in Rome many painters exposing their works like in the Paris artists square called Montmartre many living statues they are mimes in fact and many character designers giving to that beautiful square a funny touch of different art The Roman Archaeology re used by the baroque artists can be seen only in the most beautiful

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/piazza-navona.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Arch of Constantine - Rome Tours Company
    or big bus Rome tourist information and advice Visit Venice Squares Vittoriano in Rome Custom Tour Contact our office f Follow us Read the latest news The Arch of Constantine By Rome Tours Did you know that the Arch of Constantine was built at the end of the Roman empire around 250 years after the Colosseum and it s really composed by two arches one on top of the other Roman Emperor Constantine Constantine is considered the first Christian emperor and ruled in the IV century AD When he defeated his colleague Maxentius in a battle on the Tiber river battle of the Milvian Bridge the senators dedicated this arch to him and to his faith which we have reasons to believe it was christianity The arch is a marvellous example of the ways in which the romans could use the vaults to built aqueducts porticoes and bridges According to the legend before entering to Rome Costantine saw drawn in the sky a cross of light with the words in hoc signo vinces which means in english you will win under this sign and from that moment he wanted those words on the shields of his soldiers On October 28 of the year 312 A D Constantine defeated Maxentius in the battle of Ponte Milvio and triumphally entered to Rome It had as recognitions the title of August numerous statues and finally the arch of triumph that can be admired today still in front of the Colosseum It s a wonderful idea to park the limousine near the arch of Constantine and while going to visit the Colosseum admire the great shape of the last arch built in ancient Rome Visiting the Arch of Constantine The tour guides of Rome have always more and more curious details to tell to

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/constantine-arch.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Spanish Steps - Rome Tours Company
    the architectural perspective and gave a touch of elegance and sumptuousness to this stairway In effect the stairs depart separated by the top of the hill reunify and separate themselves in a succession of 12 ramps finally opening like a fan getting the effect of a fall that throws himself in the piazza De Santis has perfectly reached the visual effect of height amplified by this succession of ramps walking alone with your guide coming down from the most famous marble steps in the world is an unforgettable experience At the top of the stairway stands the French church of Trinità dei Monti built in 1495 with its two domes and the Sallustian obelisk found in the nearby Horti Sallustiani it belongs to the Egyptian period and was brought to Rome by Octavian Augustus placed there in 1789 Down of the stairway is the Barcaccia fountain built by Pietro Bernini father of Gianlorenzo in 1629 on commission of Urban VIII Barberini which in the 1598 flood after the shipwreck of a boat in the piazza had the idea to build a symmetrical fountain with the form of a boat under the road level resolving the problem of the low pressure of the water given by the gradient of the hill The piazza had called so for the presence of the residence of the ambassador of Spain and the side towards via del Babuino was called Piazza di Francia To the right of the stairway there is a red house the English poet s residence John Keats The Barcaccia Fountain at Rome Spanish StepsIn the zone of the piazza a lot of pictorial galleries are found via Margutta the Caffè Greco frequented by Stendhal and Baudelaire and numerous boutiques that have their maximum expression of elegance in via Condotti with its

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/spanish-steps.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Saint Peter's Basilica - Rome Tours Company
    independent from February 11 th 1929 date in which was resolved the Roman Question with the ratification of the Lateran Treaty between the Church and the Italian State Saint Peter Basilica in Vatican City The Vatican included St Peter Basilica was the papal residence only since 1377 from 1309 to 1377 it was Avignon and until then had been St John in Lateran A succession of 266 Popes the last was John Paul II many of which beatified The construction of a new structure went on through obstacles of every kind During the 77 years of the papacy in Avignon the basilica was abandoned to itself and its restoration was impossible In 1447 Pope Nicolas V decided to rebuild it submitting the project to Rossellino but the jobs stopped with the death of the Pope The jobs of the new Basilica started under Julius II with Bramante in 1506 and they took 120 years to complete the 18th of November 1626 same date of the beginning of the old one by Constantine In 1546 Pope Paul III called Michelangelo Buonarroti to work on the site at his death 18th February of 1564 the design of the Basilica had been conceived to Greek cross and it assumed the form of Latin cross design of the actual Basilica with Carlo Maderno Only the drum of the dome had been made and the rest of the job was finished by Giacomo Della Porta and Domenico Fontana 1588 1589 The Colonnade is the most beautiful masterpiece of Gianlorenzo Bernini with its 140 statues of saints The obelisk of St Peter s square comes from the Circus of Nero and was set in the square by Sixtus V 1585 1590 Its two fountains are of Maderno 1613 to the right side looking at the facade and of Carlo Fontana 1675 to the left side Maderno had built the facade since 1607 to 1614 and his name is enrolled in the structure In the portico it is the famous one mosaic of the Navicella by Giotto 1300 On the facade there are 5 doors the Door of the Death of Manzù 1952 1964 the Bronze Door Filarete the Holy Door where the Pope kneels every Holy Year in the Christmas day and hits three times the door to enter the Door of the Good and the Evil and the Door of the Sacraments To the entry there is a porphiry red disk where Charlemagne was crowned king in the Christmas day of the year 800 from Pope Leo III The dimensions of the Basilica engraved in the floor are impressive 211 50 meters including portico 186 30 meters without portico 44 meters high and the dome is 136 meters high The Canopy that covers the Major Altar made by Gianlorenzo Bernini in 1633 is 29 meters high and has been done with the bronze of the ceiling of the Pantheon under commission of Pope Urban VIII Barberini Under the Major Altar we can see the grave

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/st-peter-basilica.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Trajan Forum - Rome Tours Company
    continuous construction of temples basilicas and monuments The Trajan Column of the omonymous Forum in Rome The commercial discourse started then to become too tightened for the increasing expansion of the dominations in Rome and the relative commercial exchanges to maintain Forum of Trajan It was for this reason that the emperor Trajan born in Italica ancient Roman city near Sevilla Spain in 53 before Christ returning victorious from the war against the Daces actual Romanians having conquered the east out of the confinements of Italy decided after the celebration of his triumph to commemorate his victory building a complex that would have surpassed the other Fora both in splendour that in dimensions Trajan submitted the project to the great architect Apollodorus of Damascus that removed a great part of the base of the Quirinal Hill making to become the Forum the place more admired of the city A big monument to the victory on the Daces and their chief Decebalus is without doubt the great Trajan column formed by nineteen blocks of Carrara marble restored after 19 centuries and brought to its original shine that narrates as in a movie with a spiral sculpture around the column the epic stories of the conquest of the Dacia a kind of helicoidal ribbon that represents the armies and the uses and customs of Romans and Daces included the bridge built by Trajan to come in Dacia and the fortresses he attacked A structure of three floors finally constituted the Trajan Markets semi circulars with the enormous plaza of the market for the massive amount of exchanges effectuated The portico which races around the ground floor and to the first floor with numerous arches makes look the markets like an enormous basilica The Imperial fora are considered an extension and an embellishment

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/trajan-forum.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Pantheon - Rome Tours Company
    is the glory of Rome Built in 27 B C by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa Octavian s architect and son in law it was dedicated to the gods of the Julian family Destroyed by a fire in 80 A D it was restored under the Emperor Domitian and after the second fire of 110 AD it was renovated again by Apollodorus of Damascus Trajan s architect It was completely redesigned by Hadrian in 125 AD Other restorations were done under Septimius Severus and his son Caracalla in the 3rd century The Pantheon of Rome This rotunda deserves more than 15 minutes to be understood as marvel of ancient times and no city tour of Rome will be enough to describe it in its complexity The central hole of the Pantheon s dome called oculus eye in latin with a diameter of 27 feet is a masterpiece of architecture On March 16 609 A D Pope Boniface IV with the permission of the Emperor Phocas changed the pagan temple into a Christian church bringing the bones of many Christians from the Catacombs and dedicating it to St Mary of the Martyrs thus ensuring the preservation of the building to our times The ceiling of the portico was covered in bronze but the precious material almost 450 000 pounds was taken down by Pope Urban VIII Barberini 1623 1644 and used by Gianlorenzo Bernini for the Baldacchino canopy in St Peter Basilica and for other works In 1929 the church as a result of the Lateran Treaty assumed the title of the Basilica Palatina or more properly the national church of all Italians Pantheon Rome Italy Around the internal perimeter are seven niches in the niche opposite to the entrance was once a statue to Mars Ultor who had punished the murderers of

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/pantheon.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Mouth of Truth - Rome Tours Company
    portico of the church of Saint Mary in Cosmedin Santa Maria in Cosmedin 1200 s church where still today it is officiated with the Byzantine rite from 1632 Although in the antiquity it didn t have terrific semblances this mask of stone has been through however spectator of capital executions by mean of the guillotine In the square in front of the Mouth of Truth in fact the executioner of Rome Mastro Titta cut only him 516 heads from 1796 to 1864 more sadder picture than the laughing medieval legend Temple of Vesta of Portunus and Fountain of the Tritons in RomeThis legend narrates of a jealous husband that wanted to disperse the suspicions on the unfaithfulness of his wife making her hand put in the Mouth of Truth There were many spectators and among them a youth jumped out before she put the hand inside kissing her The young one believed stupid and allowed to go was in reality his lover When she swore to never have been touched neither from her husband neither from that young fool she said therefore the truth its hand was not cut and the doubts of unfaithfulness of her husband were dissipated The name derives from a tradition according to which those people who lent oath putting the hand in this mouth could not withdraw it if they said a forgery because the mouth was brusquely closed and the hand was removed with a violent bite The church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin was built in an area called in the ancient Rome Forum Boarium which was also the area of the ancient port of the city on the Tiber river It includes the Arch of janus Arco di Giano 4th century BC the Temple of Hercules Olivarius 145 BC built as a

    Original URL path: http://www.rome-tours.org/visit-rome/mouth-truth.html (2016-04-28)
    Open archived version from archive



  •