archive-org.com » ORG » R » ROSENBERG-LIBRARY-MUSEUM.ORG

Total: 157

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Treasure of the Month
    of the Civil War Trueheart joined the Confederate Army he achieved the rank of Captain and fought in the Battle of Galveston in 1863 he was subsequently wounded in a skirmish near Orange Courthouse in Virginia He married Annie Vanmeter Cunningham of West Virginia in 1866 and the couple had five children Henry Trueheart served as a member of the Galveston School Board for twenty five years and ran a successful real estate business His daughter Sally Trueheart married Albert Sidney Williams also from a notable Galveston family in February 1895 With such a fascinating genealogy it is hardly surprising that Sally Trueheart Williams took an interest in history She was a member of the Daughters of the Confederacy Daughters of the American Revolution and the Colonial Dames and she had a passion for education She founded and chaired the history committee of the Texas Federation of Women s clubs Additionally Williams developed and copyrighted an educational trivia card game in 1907 and called it Texas Heroes An Instructive Game It was dedicated to the children of Galveston Texas Heroes covered a wide variety of topics related to the history of the Lone Star State Its questions ranged from obscure trivia about important people Who was Three legged Willie to geography What city was founded in 1838 by Michel B Menard and literature Who was the author of the first book about Texas The game was used widely in schools throughout the state to help teach Texas History It was endorsed by then superintendent of Galveston City Public Schools John W Hopkins State Superintendent R B Cousins and history professor at the University of Texas George Garrison Sally Trueheart Williams not only celebrated Texas rich history but also fought to improve its future She was a fierce advocate for education

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/04-heroes/heroes.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    many in the community affectionately called him joined the United States Army with the rank of first lieutenant He was assigned as the chaplain of the 41st Infantry and was later appointed assistant liaison officer because of his intimate knowledge of France He saw action in the Champagne and Meuse Argonne Offensives with the 36th Division After World War I Father Chat returned to his adopted city with a hero s welcome After the parades were over and the accolades received Galveston s solider priest resumed his pastoral duties and took on an even larger role in the community He organized two troops of boy scouts a children s choir joined the Texas National Guard and served as chaplain of Maco Stewart American Legion Post 20 a position he held for some 20 years In 1924 Bishop Christopher E Byrne for whom the Bishop s Palace on Broadway and 14th is named appointed Father Chat as pastor of Sacred Heart Church After the Jesuit School in Galveston closed Chataignon was instrumental in establishing Odin High School later renamed Kirwin High School and served as its first principal With the onset of World War II Chataignon again left Galveston to serve in the Army He served with distinction in England Algiers and Italy By 1942 he was promoted to Colonel and recognized by General Dwight D Eisenhower for his exceptionally meritorious conduct with the Legion of Merit medal He was also honored with a Distinguished Service Cross as well as a Bronze Star for his service In Sicily he earned the nickname Chaplin York after 55 Italian soldiers surrendered to him Colonel Chataignon made sure that religious services were available to soldiers no matter how dangerous or chaotic the battlefield became In addition to his priestly duties Father Chat was also

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/05-chataignon/chataignon.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    work as a clerk at Hessly Dry Goods a small wood frame building on the south side of Market Street between 21st and 22nd Earning a salary of 2 per week he saved and invested his money wisely Within three years Rosenberg was able to buy both the business and the building from his employer Next door to Rosenberg s dry goods store was a ladies hat shop operated by Letitia Cooper of Virginia Mr Rosenberg and Ms Cooper fell in love and married in 1851 By 1859 Rosenberg had built his business into the leading dry goods store in the state of Texas His growing wealth led to opportunities in banking real estate and transportation Rosenberg became a director of the First National Bank of Galveston in 1868 and then president of the Galveston City Railroad Company in 1871 He was appointed city alderman and served two terms In 1874 Rosenberg organized the Galveston Bank and Trust Company After buying out its stockholders he continued to operate the bank under his own name Rosenberg was president of the Gulf Colorado and Santa Fe Railway Company when it laid its first fifty miles of track in the late 1870s He was also vice president of the Galveston Wharf Company and served as Consul to Switzerland An active member of Trinity Episcopal Church Henry Rosenberg provided generous funds toward the construction of Eaton Memorial Chapel in 1882 However he later withdrew his membership to join the congregation at Grace Episcopal Church In 1888 Rosenberg donated 40 000 to establish a public school in the city s East End The Rosenberg Free School was named in his honor After suffering a long illness Letitia Rosenberg died later that same year Rosenberg mourned the loss of his wife of 37 years but found comfort in her long time companion and caregiver Mollie Ragan Macgill The two married in 1889 Henry Rosenberg died in his home on May 12 1893 at the age of 69 Galveston residents were greatly saddened by the loss of one their community s greatest benefactors Local schools closed for the day and flags were flown at half mast throughout the city Various memorial services and tributes took place for three weeks following his death Rosenberg s body was laid in state at the Rosenberg Free School and more than five thousand people came to view the body and offer condolences to the family The funeral took place on May 14 with services conducted in part at the school with concluding rites at Grace Episcopal Church Upon his wishes Rosenberg s remains were buried at Loudon Park Cemetery in Baltimore Maryland alongside his first wife Mollie Ragan Macgill was also interred there after her death in 1917 While his philanthropy was recognized during his lifetime it was not until after his death in 1893 that citizens fully realized his civic contributions Rosenberg died childless and left his vast fortune to various charitable and religious organizations in Galveston as well as

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/06-henry/henry.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    and construct a state of the art brewing facility on the island The biggest problem faced by the newly formed Galveston Brewing Company was water Prior to 1895 the supply of quality water to brew large quantities of beer was not available However during the mid 1890s Galveston established a water works department and an 18 mile pipeline was laid from the mainland s Alta Loma wells providing the needed supply of fresh water to the island A second challenge came with the building site at Postoffice Street between 34th and 35th The firm of E Jugenfeld Co of St Louis was selected to design the brewing facility Prior to the 1900 Storm and subsequent grade raising most of the land in Galveston was only slightly above sea level In order to sink the necessary supports for the foundation of the massive five story building the architects decided to raise the elevation of the site ten feet Tons of dirt and silt were hauled in to meet these requirements Despite the construction delays the new brewery produced its first batch of beer in October 1896 A two day public grand opening was held in February 1897 The four month delay was to allow for proper aging of the beer The impressive Romanesque style brewery complex consisted of a large ice plant a brew house a storage house a boiler house a wash house a racking house and wagon sheds The plant also had railroad tracks running along two sides Beer was stored in adjacent cold rooms and loaded onto rail cars so that the product could be transported to the mainland for larger distribution The Galveston Brewing Company was well equipped to manufacture 100 000 barrels of beer annually Just four years after Galveston Brewing Company opened its doors the devastating hurricane of September 8 1900 struck the island with unprecedented force killing thousands of people and causing monumental destruction Due to its site elevation and concrete and steel design the brewery plant incurred only minor damage In fact the brewery played an extremely important role in the post storm recovery efforts It provided pure drinking water for survivors of the storm and ice for the preservation of corpses awaiting burial Galveston Brewing Company s original brew was similar to a light Munich style German beer that was popular in the warm Southern climate Containing only 3 5 alcohol the beer was advertised as a medicinal tonic especially good for people of a nervous temperament and frequently prescribed by physicians Beers were sold under the Seawall Bond and High Grade product labels The brewery was an immediate success and in less than ten years the facility had to be expanded in order to meet production demands Improvement included an ice plant with a 100 ton daily output and a bottling plant with a capacity of 30 000 bottles per day Eventually more than 100 men were employed at the plant Just before Prohibition the assets of the Galveston Brewing Company

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/07-brewery/brewery.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    battle American and Cuban revolutionaries casualties totaled over five hundred and about three hundred Spanish loyalists were killed wounded or captured The medals on display donated by Mrs Dan Stein in 1924 belonged to Louis Ginsberg an army veteran who served stateside during the war One is a Spanish War service medal awarded by Congress to all Army members who served at least three months during the war The obverse front has a sheathed Roman sword denoting its participant was not in combat on a tablet surrounded by a wreath The reverse side features an eagle and the U S seal The second medal was issued by a United Spanish War Veterans fraternal society to all service members It is topped with an eagle bearing a shield an American flag tattered and in poor condition a cannon anchor sword and a rifle connected to a cross with a circle in the middle Commodore John W Philip USN The United States of America flag at the time had seven red and six white stripes and 45 stars on a field of blue Measuring 8 ½ feet by 15 ½ feet the flag was flown by the pre dreadnought battleship U S S Texas in the Battle of Santiago during the Spanish American War on July 3 1898 It was the first US Naval vessel to bear the name Texas and is not the same U S S Texas currently docked in San Jacinto The Battle of Santiago was the largest and most decisive naval engagement during the Spanish American War The American Navy knocked out Spain s entire Caribbean Squadron making resupplying to Spanish troops impossible Galvestonians were fascinated by U S S Texas and city leaders asked the secretary of the Navy to have the ship stop in Galveston s port Upon learning of the visit Galveston s schoolchildren raised over three hundred dollars to purchase a bible and sword for the ship s captain John Philip 1840 1900 During a luncheon held by the YMCA on February 13 1899 the newly promoted Commodore Philip donated the flag to the Sunday school children of Texas It was kept by the YMCA of Galveston from then until it was donated to Rosenberg Library on August 20 1923 The War in Brief Since the early years of the Republic many in Washington sought to annex Cuba as part of the United States and offers were even made to Spain to purchase the island Starting in the mid nineteenth century Americans began investing heavily in the booming Cuban sugar industry With rising tension and violence between Cubans and the colonial government an opportunity for intervention soon presented itself An emerging trend in newspapers called yellow journalism helped fuel public awareness of atrocities in Cuba and the march to war Yellow journalists sensationalized stories and sometimes used embellished or outright fictional sources and facts Perhaps the most infamous example was the sinking of U S S Maine in Havana Harbor on February 15 1898

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/08-spanamwar/spanamwar.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    1800s most Japanese men had abandoned the kimono in favor of Western style dress With the addition of pockets to the Japanese wardrobe netsukes ceased to serve an everyday purpose However with the rising popularity of Japanese art in Europe and America during the late 19th century netsukes became popular collectibles These small objects with fine details were ideal for display in glass vitrines a fixture in almost any Victorian salon Netsukes came in the form of people plants animals masks and deities Characters from ancient Japanese folklore such as grotesque goblins evil demons or other creatures with supernatural powers were often adapted into netsuke figurines Unlike other forms of art netsukes were intended to be handled and admired as everyday objects Planes and angles were carved with great attention to detail so that the object was pleasing to look at from all directions Like cuff links in Western cultures netsukes were favorite fashion accessories collected by Japanese men The appeal of netsukes faded after the turn of the 20th century but the onset of WWII sparked a resurgence in collecting Soldiers stationed in Japan brought back these beautifully carved objects as souvenirs and many netsukes have ended up in the attics of family homes or on the shelves of antique shops Even today collectors seek out these tiny objects with big personalities Though now mass produced for export netsukes continue to be manufactured in Japan These are often low quality and fashioned from plastic but they remain popular tourist souvenirs Contemporary netsukes carved in the traditional manner are available at museum shops or specialty stores Rare antique netsukes signed by renowned carvers have been sold for thousands of dollars at auction ROSENBERG LIBRARY S MUSEUM BOOK CLUB Netsukes were the focus of The Hare With Amber Eyes the Rosenberg

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/09-netsuke/netsuke.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    it E S Levy and Company Photograph of the original site of E S Levy and Company Market and 23rd Courtesy of the Galveston and Texas History Center Rosenberg Library In 1896 the company constructed a four story building on the corner of Market Street and 23rd at the former site of the Tremont Opera House The upscale clothing store operated on the ground floor with more than 80 professional office spaces on the upper floors Tenants included architects attorneys and physicians The U S Weather Bureau offices were actually located in the E S Levy building at the time of the devastating 1900 Storm Within a few years Levy s began to outgrow its single story Market Street location In 1917 the company moved one block north to Postoffice Street Outfitted with the day s most modern glass display cases and hanging racks the new building offered a ground floor for the men s department with space on the second floor for a boys shop Levy s specialized in uniforms and equipment for Boy Scouts as well as everyday sportswear and special occasion clothing Boy s jacket in black velvet with silk trim from E S Levy Co ca 1890s Gift of the Morgan Family As an incentive for their young male shoppers Levy s issued shiny tokens with every purchase in their boys department These tokens could then be redeemed for a toy of choice available at the store Boys who registered with Levy s also received cards and gifts on their birthdays For their more mature clientele Levy s employed a buyer in New York to keep pace with the latest international fashion trends From sportswear and suits to hats and shoes Levy s provided Galveston s most distinguished gentlemen with the finest apparel available Ca 1910

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/10-levy/levy.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    wood shells and stones The existence of ancient trade routes allowed for the import of non native materials from Mexico and the Pacific coast into the Southwest region When the Spanish arrived in the 1500s a rich heritage of native ornamentation was already in existence However the Spanish introduced new European forms of jewelry making and materials to the Indians as well as the technique of silversmithing It is not known exactly when the Native Americans began to work unfinished silver themselves but most historians believe that this transition took place around 1850 New Mexico was annexed as a United States territory in 1846 and in an effort to suppress Indian raids on white settlers the U S Army launched a violent campaign against the Navajo Indians in 1863 Their livestock were killed their crops burned and their villages destroyed Starving and desperate the Navajo people surrendered and were forced to make a long and treacherous journey to the newly established Bosque Redondo reservation at Fort Sumner in the eastern part of the state Tragically many died along the way A social engineering experiment Bosque Redondo was intended to become a self sufficient community The Navajo were taught modern farming techniques along with trade skills such as blacksmithing Improper irrigation systems coupled with pest infestations led to failed crops and a lack of food and drinking water Thousands of Navajo Indians died from disease and malnutrition during their incarceration at Bosque Redondo and by 1868 the remaining Navajos were permitted to return westward to a new reservation near their original homeland in the Four Corners region The basic techniques of melting hammering and soldering became established on the Navajo reservation after the return from Bosque Redondo Government agents supplied smiths with tools and materials for working silver Throughout the 1870s the silverworking techniques they learned at Bosque Redondo were improved and refined and a small but growing number of Navajo artisans emerged Silverwork is a relatively recent form of Indian art work since silver mines did not exist in the American Southwest The Navajo Indians were the first to adopt the craft but this wasn t until the mid 1800s when silver became more readily available The primary sources of silver in Navajo jewelry were often coins or flatware which were obtained through trade Smiths would melt down silver to cast into an ingot or block The ingot was then hammered into a flat sheet and worked into a finished design It was smoothed down with stones and then polished with sand or ashes Navajo silversmiths also made use of stone molds with pre carved designs an extremely time consuming process During the early 1900s the expansion of the Santa Fe Railroad into the American Southwest created a huge demand for inexpensive Indian made curios The need for financial security prompted many Indian artisans to go to work in commercial jewelry factories to mass produce souvenirs for tourists Non traditional motifs and elaborate decoration were adopted in order to make

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2012/11-amIndian.jewelry/native.jewelry.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •