archive-org.com » ORG » R » ROSENBERG-LIBRARY-MUSEUM.ORG

Total: 157

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Treasure of the Month
    learning Upon his arrival he built himself a home from driftwood and founded a school for African American children at Live Oak Point Eventually the funding for the school ran dry so he went back home and then on to college His legacy on the Gulf Coast however was just beginning The young man described above is Frank Chauncey Patten the first librarian at the Rosenberg Library Although largely forgotten his diligent work left an impact on the island that can still be seen today Born in Rochester New York on June 15 1855 to Horace and Olive Maria Patten the family moved numerous times eventually settling near Shields Wisconsin After high school he attended college at the State Normal School at Oshkosh Wisconsin in 1874 and then taught public school intermittently until 1881 After his trip to Texas he returned to Wisconsin to continue his studies at Ripon College and then went on to graduate first in his class of the Columbia College School of Library Economy After completing his degree at Columbia Patten worked in Helena Montana as a public librarian for seven years and then moved on to the Lenox Library in New York City On July 24 1903 the Rosenberg Library Association in Galveston appointed him to supervise the completion of the library and when it opened June 22 the next year he was the first librarian the equivalent to an executive director in modern times Patten sought to make the rooms attractive and somewhat homelike avoiding both the uninviting formality of many public buildings and the domestic aspect of a room in a home In January 1905 he oversaw the completion of the Colored Branch of the Rosenberg Library which was for use by Galveston s African American residents Patten s impact on the library cannot be overstated He implemented benefactor Henry Rosenberg s vision for a library that would serve as a center of intellectual growth for the island He hired a dedicated children s librarian and made sure there was a designated area for kids to enjoy He developed a vast reference collection for the library that included pamphlets maps charts photographs pictures prints and historic manuscripts Patten also implemented a popular public lectures series which brought in a variety of respected speakers with expertise in a wide range of subjects including literature history and science Later accounts depicted Patten as especially concerned with the condition of the library s books meticulously mending and cleaning pages and charging for scuffs tears rips or any other damage done to the collection Frank Patten was a man of many talents In addition to carpentry he knew Latin and German wrote poetry and in 1918 he helped publish a compilation biography of Henry Rosenberg and the history of the library entitled Henry Rosenberg 1824 1893 Although Patten never married he maintained a very busy social life He was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church the American Historical Association the Texas Library Association The Texas Historical Society

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/04-librarian/librarian.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    Wetta currently hangs in the McCullough Room which was named in honor of the couple s dedicated service and generous donations to the Rosenberg Library Mrs McCullough s vintage bathing suit will be on display for May Born into a prominent Galveston family Ms McCullough had a fascinating childhood She frequently traveled around the country and the world In 1910 she and her parents went to London to attend a woman s suffrage meeting She left Galveston in 1918 after her acceptance into Bryn Mawr College The following year she married a young solider named John W McCullough 1892 1986 who in addition to serving in the Army during WWI with distinction went on to become the President of Sealy Hutchings Bank in Galveston Mr McCullough served on the Rosenberg Library Board of Directors from 1930 1952 and as a Library Trustee from 1930 1986 In 1990 Marjorie Williams McCullough donated a gift to the library for the construction of a public meeting room Located in the library s historic 1904 wing the McCullough Room is a beautiful meeting space on the second floor of the building In addition to caring for her three children Mrs McCullough was very active in the Galveston social scene She was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Galveston a charter member and president of the Beta Study Club president and member of the Sidney Sherman Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas board member and vice president of the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Huguenot Society The bathing suit on display at the library is a two piece garment It is made of navy blue wool trimmed in white with wood buttons The main bodice features

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/05-swimsuit/swimsuit.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    in 2009 Born from a Slave Congregation In 1840 just one year after the City of Galveston was officially incorporated members of the all white First Baptist Church established a separate congregation for slaves Worship services for the slaves were conducted in the balcony of the church at 3 o clock each Sunday afternoon Later called the Colored Baptist Church this congregation eventually erected its own building at Avenue L and 26th Street on land donated by Judge J P Cole A 20 x 20 foot wooden frame church was built and by the 1850s it became known as Africa Baptist Church After the Civil War the property was formally deeded to members of the congregation and in 1867 it was reorganized as the First Regular Missionary Baptist Church In the years following the Civil War membership grew from 47 to 500 However tragedy befell the congregation in September 1900 when a powerful hurricane devastated Galveston Island The church building was lost and many members of the congregation lost their lives during the storm The church s current name Avenue L Baptist Church was adopted around 1903 as the church began to reorganize and rebuild itself A New Beginning for Avenue L In 1904 Rev H M Williams became pastor of the church a position he held until 1933 Rev Williams constructed a replacement wooden frame church and in 1917 oversaw the completion of the impressive brick building that houses the church today The 1904 building still stands although it is located behind the newer brick church Members donated the funds to purchase colorful art glass windows a baptismal pool a pulpit and later a pipe organ Reverend Andrew Walker Berry Reverend Andrew Walker Berry was elected pastor of Avenue L Baptist Church in 1985 Still in his thirties he

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/06-reverend/reverend.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    publicity In 1883 the firm had formally changed its name to Thomas Goggan and Brothers when Thomas s brothers Mike and John joined the company In addition to pianos and sheet music the company sold all manner of string and wind instruments After Thomas died in 1903 John took over as President So in 1908 John Goggan was a busy man Between running a successful business caring for a wife and two girls being a Trustee at the Rosenberg Library a member of the Knights of Columbus and a member of the Elks club it is surprising he could find time to do anything else But in August of that year after returning to the island from a New York business trip Goggan contacted the Galveston Daily News to extol Texas laissez faire approach to trust busting While his pro business message could easily have been printed in today s newspaper Goggan s report to the editor also reveals great reverence for Galveston He stated that the city was destined to become one of the greatest tourist destinations in the world While mentioning auto racing on the beach front Goggan gushes about Galveston s fishing He stated that tarpon were so abundant in the bay that they bothered fishermen who sought other species though today they are not nearly as common His report was likely an outlet for his desire to go out fishing as much as it was a stance on antitrust laws or his vision for Galveston s future It should be no surprise then that two weeks later on Saturday September 5th Goggan and other members of a local club set out on a charter boat called the Mayflower for a Labor Day weekend of fishing at Redfish Reef The men s group also known as Camp Hughes formed in 1898 to go camping and fishing together They left that day hoping to enjoy each other s company but would soon find themselves fighting for survival This invoice from Thomas Goggan Brothers dates to 1878 Rosenberg LIbrary Trustee John Goggan served as President of the music firm from 1903 until his tragic death in a fishing accident in 1908 imgae courtesy of Rosenberg Library The group departed Galveston at 5 30 in the evening stopped to pick up a fellow group member in Texas City then made their way to Redfish Reef arriving at 9 o clock They set anchor on the shallow reef and some of the group decided to go floundering a type of fishing involved wearing waders while using a lantern to spot the fish and a gig to spear the fish About an hour later some members of the group who stayed behind noticed foreboding clouds off to the northeast Soon after a violent squall was on them Some of the group stayed on the small island with their tent but Goggan and three others took a heavily loaded skiff to go back to the Mayflower A man named Ben Philips was pulling

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/07-goggan/goggan.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    social gatherings and visiting dignitaries until it was lost to a fire in 1865 A New Tremont Hotel In 1872 a group of Galveston investors formed a company with the intent to build a luxury hotel rivaling the finest venues in the South Local architect Fred S Steward was commissioned to design a grand new Tremont Hotel along 23rd Street and Church However only two of the four planned stories were constructed before the investors withdrew their funding The building stood uncompleted for four years until a subsequent group of owners hired the architectural firm Clayton and Lynch to finish the job The partners carried out Steward s original plan and the second Tremont Hotel opened its doors in 1877 Nicholas J Clayton was also responsible for subsequent remodeling projects in 1884 and 1896 The massive upscale hotel which reportedly required over 2 million bricks to construct advertised itself as the only first class hotel in the city It was also the only hotel with a steam powered passenger elevator to conveniently transport guests between floors Like its earlier predecessor the second Tremont Hotel was a center of civic and social activities for more than half a century With its ornate architecture lavish furnishings and superior accommodations The Tremont was the hotel of choice for political dignitaries celebrities military leaders and business executives Brass keyfob from Room 93 at the old Tremont Hotel in Galveston It was used by Mat Oppenheimer a traveling salesman representing the New York based Manhatten Shirt Company He sold the last bill of goods in the hotel to local retailer Sam J Williams at 5 30 p m on the day the hotel was closed November 1 1928 gift of Sam J Williams While the Tremont Hotel was considered the island s most elite establishment

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/08-tremont/tremont.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    violin and clarinet with Professor E Lindenberg Under Lindenberg s direction Stella performed with local bands at the Garten Verein Queen Theater Grand Opera House People s Theater and Crystal Theater Eventually Stella became a music teacher and band director himself He opened Felix Stella s Music Studio at his residence on 17th Street where he gave private music lessons Stella was an active member of various musical and social organizations in Galveston including the El Mina Shrine Temple In 1922 at age 38 he organized the Galveston Melody Orchestra This group which was made up mostly of his students played at public functions and charity events Galveston Melody Orchestra 1926 Founder and director Felix Stella is standing on the left A Band for the City In 1927 citizens voted for a tax to fund a city supported band The following year the Galveston Municipal Band was created with Felix Stella appointed as its director Galveston Municipal Band presented a summer concert series performing three evenings each week at the Menard Park band shell on Seawall Boulevard near 27th Street When Felix Stella was interviewed for a news article in the 1950s he noted that when he started his career in the early 1900s professional musicians had many more opportunities for gainful employment than they did in later decades During the silent movie era musicians played live scores to accompany films Likewise extravagant social events with musical performances were more commonplace By the 1950s most musicians had to have second jobs in order to cover living expenses Despite leading various bands in the city Stella also had to teach music lessons to earn additional income During the 1960 season visitors from forty five Texas cities thirteen states and two foreign countries attended Galveston Municipal Band concerts Performances were held on

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/09-musician/musician.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    the board of the Orphans Home a member of the board of the Lasker Home for Homeless Children a member of the Board of School Trustees for 30 years and an 18th degree Scottish Rite Mason When he passed away his wife Jennie Lovenberg 1855 1939 gave the school district a gift of 50 000 to establish a teacher retirement fund but asked that a school be named after her late husband However Mrs Lovenberg s dedication to the school did not stop there the principal of the Lovenberg Junior High called her the school s fairy godmother as she frequently came to assemblies and ate lunch with the students every Thursday Every year on her birthday the school would have a party in her honor Upon Mrs Lovenberg s death in 1939 she left most of her estate to the school Photograph of Lovenberg Junior High School Galveston s first middle school which served the students of Galveston from 1933 1978 courtesy of Galveston and Texas History Center History of Lovenberg Junior High In 1929 Galveston voters approved a bond to alleviate overcrowding in Ball High School by funding the construction of Lovenberg Junior High school Located on Avenues T and U between 39th and 41st streets the two story brick building was designed by Galveston architect R R Rapp along with Giescke Harris of Austin and at a cost of 475 000 On January 2 1933 the school opened its doors to its first class of students Thousands of visitors came to see the new building and were impressed with its beauty and efficiency Throughout its 45 year history Lovenberg School had only three principals A E Davis 1933 1946 Rudolph Smart 1946 1971 and Luther Knebel 1971 1979 When it opened much of the staff was drawn

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/10-lovenberg/lovenberg.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Treasure of the Month
    and that coupled with the warm tropical climate fostered an ideal breeding ground for mosquitoes Of an estimated 8 000 residents living on the island more than 1 000 died as a result of contracting yellow fever from infected mosquitoes that year The three sisters who ran Charity Hospital worked tirelessly to treat the overwhelming number of patients who were admitted to the brand new facility Sister Blandine contracted yellow fever herself and died Sister Ange became gravely ill but eventually recovered and returned to Lyons Just 27 years old Sister Joseph took charge of the hospital along with six newly recruited sisters from France She eventually became Mother Superior of the Sisters of Charity in Galveston The 1867 epidemic left many local children without parents This prompted the Sisters of Charity to operate an orphanage along with the hospital Additional frame buildings were constructed on the hospital property to house the orphans as well as to accommodate more patients St Mary s Orphanage was later moved to the island s West End in 1874 Despite this very trying beginning the hospital continued to grow In 1869 Charity Hospital was renamed St Mary s Infirmary New sisters were recruited to assist the existing staff and in 1875 a 50 000 wing was added to the original structure Designed by Nicholas Clayton this three story brick building provided 27 private rooms with a total capacity of 150 beds Over the years a chapel and convent were added to the site and another multi story addition came in 1896 Initially used for patient rooms it was later converted into a dormitory for nursing students With a staff of 50 and a growing number of patients the future seemed bright for the infirmary However the Great Storm of September 8 1900 brought flood waters into the lower level of the facility while high winds tore off roofs and shattered windows Hospital staff patients and 1 500 refugees to shelter inside St Mary s during the event Of these only one life was lost Thousands more across the island perished Image of the damaged St Mary s Infirmary building after the 1900 Storm courtesy of Galveston and Texas History Center Just as they had after the 1867 yellow fever outbreak the staff of St Mary s continued to move beyond this adversity A convent was added to the site and in 1914 a new four story wing was built at the northeastern edge of the property In the late 1940s a five story modern hospital was under construction Though it was not yet completed at the time of the SS Grandcamp explosion in Texas City hundreds of critically injured patients were rushed to the facility for treatment Hospital staff administered aid as best they could despite the lack of electricity running water and windows in the still unfinished building Over time modern facilities replaced the historic buildings on the site The original frame annex buildings had been destroyed in the 1900 Storm but the

    Original URL path: http://rosenberg-library-museum.org/displays/treasure/2014/11-infirmary/infirmary.htm (2016-04-26)
    Open archived version from archive



  •