archive-org.com » ORG » S » SIGCOMM.ORG

Total: 376

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Conference Call | acm sigcomm
    options print which will continue to include printed copies of CCR and the SIGCOMM conference proceedings and print free which will offer all the same benefits except the print journal and proceedings We will slightly increase cost for print members and decrease cost for non print Bruce will work with ACM to revise member benefits statement and ensure that 2 tier structure gets implemented in ACM s membership systems Keshav is planning to step down as CCR editor We have started seeking a replacement He will work with the CCR editorial board to gather suggestions 2 Community projects Olivier has sent out a draft CFP for community projects to be funded by SIGCOMM The EC liked the proposal and it is ready to go to ACM after one editorial round We decided to have 2 deadlines per year with an option to consider applications that are time sensitive out of cycle We would like to highly encourage poster presentation at a SIGCOMM sponsored conference or publication at CCR Once Bruce has checked that ACM is OK with the proposal we can publish the CFP in CCR and online 3 SIGCOMM 2013 We received three site proposals for SIGCOMM 2013 All

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/content/minutes-sigcomm-ec-conference-call-1 (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Conference Call | acm sigcomm
    haven t received a lot yet ACM will help us figure out what is and is not OK to fund The next step is for us to put together a call for proposals Olivier will draft this Example projects might include datasets organizing workshops organizing software tools for the community surveys or samples of the community 4 CACM Research Highlights We discussed the papers from SIGCOMM 2012 and selected two candidates to forward along to the CACM RH committee Bruce took the action to write up the proposals Henning also agreed to check on a third paper Bruce M will remind IMC chairs to recommend papers as well We should be doing this for all our conferences 5 SIGCOMM Conference Quality Following some concerns raised in the Community Feedback Session in Toronto we continued to discuss ways to assess the health of the annual SIGCOMM conference and of our field more broadly Henning has looked at Taulbee survey data We can look at number and percentage of students in networking a cursory examination shows no drastic changes in networking It may be worth a little more research on these sort of metrics We agreed to create a survey of conference attendees to try to get some data around what is and is not working well and to see if changes to format e g talk length should be considered Bruce and Henning will follow up and create a prototype survey to run by EC 6 SIG Governing Board meeting Bruce D had attended the SGB meeting One item of note was the announcement of ACM s new approach to open access the Author izer which will be announced shortly This would allow an author to link to his papers in the DL giving free access to anyone who uses the

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/content/minutes-sigcomm-ec-conference-call (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Conference Call | acm sigcomm
    some data to try to understand both how the conference is faring and how the field as a whole is doing Henning agreed to collect data about networking courses from the Taulbee survey We may want to do our own survey we agreed to revisit this at the next meeting We can also look at data that is readily available such as attendance at our own conferences not just SIGCOMM but IMC CoNext etc On the logistical side the sense was that everything was very smooth 2 Community projects We continued the discussion of SIGCOMM funding community projects We learned that SIGCHI already has a development fund described at http www sigchi org about policies devfund that we can use as a template Bruce agreed to talk to the SIGCHI chair to learn more about their process and what they have funded to date Henning also suggested we should gather input from our own community about the sort of projects that they want to see funded before we issue an actual call for proposals We also noted that we could use CCR both to announce the program and in some cases to publish reports on program results 3 Awards Bruce

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/content/minutes-sigcomm-ec-conference-call-0 (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Meeting, Toronto | acm sigcomm
    projects that might make sense such as making recordings of a summer school and putting videos online building a database of networking courses and associated materials etc We agreed that Olivier would draft a CFP for review by the EC 2 CCR Keshav proposed that we consider a special session at SIGCOMM 2012 where a few of the best papers published in CCR in the prior year are presented This would require about an hour and should be discussed with 2012 Chairs Alternatively this could be tried at CoNext Keshav s term as EIC ends in 12 months and he would like us to find a replacement 3 Community Feedback Session The EC spent considerable time discussing the issues raised in the community feedback session Paul Barford s comments in the community feedback session indicate that we should not sit back and claim everything is fine without further examination The EC discussed a number of possible responses These included inviting outside review of SIGCOMM or soliciting feedback from those who straddle fields and thus might be able to judge how we are doing relative to other areas Henning commented on the difficulties of tracking the community as a whole e

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/content/minutes-sigcomm-ec-meeting-toronto (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Conference Call | acm sigcomm
    Network support is being worked out between Cisco personnel the hotel and local arrangements team Web casting and video recording contracts are in place 3 SIGCOMM 2012 The chairs have secured sufficient sponsorship to cover the costs of Finlandia Hall the preferred venue They are planning to work with local Cisco contacts regarding network support Bruce can help if needed Other planning is proceeding smoothly 4 COMSNETS The organizers of COMSNETS in India have approached SIGCOMM for support The SIG is considering giving COMSNETS similar treatment to LANC We have earmarked two geodiversity travel grants for best local paper authors to attend SIGCOMM We may also consider travel grants for guest speakers and for students traveling to the conference from outside the region Henning suggested that we might want to try some sort of matching funds to encourage local support as well More generally we should consider the process by which we decide to support regional conferences In addition to LANC we have been supporting AINTEC for some years We might want to try to mentor the organizers We agreed that the SIG should ask regional conferences for some sort of strategic plan It was also suggested that a meeting of regional conference organizers at the SIGCOMM conference could be helpful 5 Volunteers The search for an new awards chair continues Alex Snoeren has been appointed in place of Tom Anderson on the NSDI steering committee More generally we may want to make an effort to create a databased of potential volunteers to fill future positions as was discussed at a recent meeting of the SIG Governing Board We should be thinking ahead to build a stable of future volunteers Keshav suggested getting current volunteers to provide a list of their backups We may also want to draw on the

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/about/minutes/2011/Jun-6 (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Conference Call | acm sigcomm
    some concerns expressed about the post earthquake situation in Japan the steering committee conducted a survey to determine whether there were enough concerns to warrant a change in venue The current SC view based on both survey results and the generally safe conditions in Tokyo is that the location should not be changed 4 Sigcomm 2011 Keshav provided a brief update Plans are going smoothly Papers have been selected and are getting arranged into sessions Travel grant applications are coming in Video recording services have been arranged so that talks can be put into the ACM Digital Library 5 Sigcomm 2012 Planning is well along for Sigcomm 2012 in Helsinki Because Helsinki seemingly has no hotel that can host a meeting of our size other options are being considered Finlandia hall a large conference venue or university locations are being considered along with related budget issues 6 CCR Online According to data from ACM we spend slightly more on printing and mailing CCR than we bring in from membership funds Some other SIGs have chosen two tiered membership approach with those who wish to receive paper newsletters proceedings paying more and the remainder of the membership receiving both online access and a CD at end of year The CD addresses concerns about loss of access if membership is allowed to lapse Moving to a primarily online model has several advantages and seems likely to be the way of the future These include better figures non text content such as slides and video and the potential for faster turnaround We could invite members to register for topics of interest and provide automatic notifications of relevant content becoming available The ACM Digital Library is the appropriate place to retain archival copies of our publications We could build a front end on our

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/about/minutes/2011/May-2 (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Conference Call: Februrary 14 | acm sigcomm
    increase participation from India is to increase the overall size of our geodiversity grant pool to 30 000 from 20 000 and to broaden the eligibility of geodiversity grants which are currently targeted to junior faculty and post docs to include students Paper authors may also be considered if their home institution can t support their travel The current wording of the geodiversity grants description accurately captures the regions that we wish to target for funding those historically under represented at the conference The travel grants committee for the annual conference will ultimately make funding decisions based on the pool of applicants and budget The EC should ensure that the new criteria are made clear to the travel grants chair We would like to publish the list of awardees and their affiliations both for transparency and to provide guidance to future applicants It was noted that we will continue to offer student travel grant support in addition to geodiversity grants in the amount of 10k for both SIGCOMM and CoNEXT conferences with no geographic restrictions so this may also be applied to under represented regions at the discretion of the travel grant chair depending on the applicant pool and other funding sources 2 SIGCOMM 2011 Planning Bruce and Jau reviewed SIGCOMM 2011 budget with the organizers and it looks in good shape Keshav is seeking proposals for panels Bruce agreed to propose an industry panel along the lines of tell us what problems you find interesting in the real world 3 SIGCOMM 2012 Planning There has been discussion among the organizing committee regarding appropriate sponsorship levels The EC agreed that we should not interfere with general chairs but that consistent tiers across different years should be maintained if possible 4 Awards Our PhD thesis award proposal is now in the

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/about/minutes/2011/Feb-14 (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Minutes of SIGCOMM EC Conference Call: January 3 | acm sigcomm
    to sync up with as many academic calendars around the world as possible and simplify process for departments submitting to both the ACM and SIGCOMM awards Ramesh and Bruce will finalize the document and send it to the Sig Governing Board for review 2 Sigcomm 2011 Keshav reported that fundraising is progressing well There have been delays in getting invoices issued by ACM to supporters Keshav will follow up with phone calls to ACM s conference co ordinator We discussed the possibility of a couple of panels one on publications ToN CCR one on industry academic collabartion a follow on to the successful CoNext panel We need to check with the general and program chairs on feasibility of one or both of these 3 CCR online CCR online has a number of features beyond those that are needed to post the content of the printed journal online such as discussion forums and other resources These do not seem to be getting much use and if anything just detract from the ease of use of the site After some discussion of how we might get more excitement around the site we decided that it makes most sense to trim it back to core article publishing functions Bruce will discuss with Neil to ensure that nothing serious will break if we do this 4 Conferences Workshop Requesting Sponsorship The VISA Virtualized Infrastructure Workshop has been held at SIGCOMM for a couple of years and is now looking to operate standalone The have asked SIGCOMM to be the sponsor For logistic support and to help attract the relevent audience the plan is to collocate with a GENI engineering conference It was noted that this will imply a US location initially The EC suggested that the organizers should proceed to apply formally for our

    Original URL path: http://sigcomm.org/about/minutes/2011/Jan-3 (2016-04-25)
    Open archived version from archive



  •