archive-org.com » ORG » T » TOBYHANNATWPHISTORY.ORG

Total: 126

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township | A Mother's Pension
    Project Clymer Library Local History Dept Stillwater Lake Schools Lutherland History of Lutherland Cottages of Lutherland Images of Lutherland Naomi Pines Spring Naomi Pines Electric Company Churches Family Histories Camp Comfort Ice Harvest News Links Resources Passport to History About HATT Membership Bylaws Minutes Officers Contact Us Hide Menu MARY A CHRISTMAN S APPLICATION FOR PENSION The law governing soldiers pension survivorship was changed 20 years after the end of

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/pension.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Lincoln General Hospital
    Pines Spring Naomi Pines Electric Company Churches Family Histories Camp Comfort Ice Harvest News Links Resources Passport to History About HATT Membership Bylaws Minutes Officers Contact Us Hide Menu LINCOLN GENERAL HOSPITAL East Capitol and 15th Streets Washington D C Pvt William Henry Christman was admitted May 1 1864 for treatment of measles and periontitis He died here on May 11 having served less than two months since enlisting Opened in December 1862 Lincoln General was the largest of the military hospitals in the area built by the Army to take care of the Civil War casualties It was located on Capitol Hill 15 blocks east of the Capitol building The hospital complex included 20 pavilions arranged in two lines forming a V and 25 tent wards which provided altogether a bed capacity of 2 575 The kitchen and dining rooms were connected to the pavilions by means of a covered pathway In addition to the headquarters marked by the flag at the point of the V there were officers quarters quarters for Sisters who provided nursing service barracks guard house separate quarters for contrabands and service facilities such as water tank laundry barber shop carpenter shop stables and a

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/hospital.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township | Task Force Christman
    mission is taken very seriously by the Army said Peterson How we conduct ourselves as professionals in the military is the same attitude we carry here taking pictures With the process now over Peterson said he is proud to have honored our nation s heroes in such an exceptional way This is an unprecedented mission because it has never been done before and it probably will never be done again said Peterson What we are doing is paying tribute to our fallen comrades Old Guard Soldier Pfc Chris Bodell photographs a headstone with a smartphone at Arlington National Cemetery on Aug 30 2011 Images of 219 619 headstones and 43 096 columbarium wall niches will be matched with digitized paper records and compared for accuracy U S Army photo J D Leipold August 31 2011 Soldiers document Arlington headstones with smartphones By J D Leipold U S Army News Service WASHINGTON Army News Service Since early June about 100 soldiers and volunteer students have spent their nights silently walking between the seemingly endless rows of marble at Arlington National Cemetery stopping to crouch and clear the grass from the base of each headstone Then they step back crouch again and snap photos with smartphones of the front and back of each headstone 219 619 of them including the 726 new burials since the project began They ve also photographed 43 096 columbarium wall niches where urns filled with cremated remains rest Next they enter the section and grave numbers the GPS latitude and longitude how many are interred under one grave and other information then they double check the information and email it in a package to a task force of specialists who begin the process of matching headstone information with digitized records that are then compared for accuracy The photo documentation is just the first step in the cemetery s efforts to correct issues on grave identification said cemetery officials The problems had come to light over a year ago when it was discovered that the cemetery was operating on an antiquated accountability system that often meant interred remains were not where they were supposed to be As the soldiers have been capturing images of the headstones the cemetery is also digitally mapping the cemetery through aerial photography which will add an additional layer of accountability and will eventually provide the added benefit of enabling the public to locate and view the gravesites of loved ones over the internet Much of the documentation work on the ground has been accomplished by Delta Company Soldiers of the 3rd U S Infantry known as The Old Guard between 10 in the evening and 6 in the morning Capt Nate Peterson Delta company commander said the reasons for working late night into early morning were partly to avoid the 100 degree plus temperatures and humidity and because his soldiers could more aptly control the lighting in the evening He noted his team was off the grounds by the time the first funeral

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/taskforce.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township | Christman Credit
    Bibliography Credits A very special note of thanks to Mr George Dodge attorney at law of Arlington Va Mr Dodge is an active historian serving as president of the Arlington Historical Society and author of Historic Images of Arlington National Cemetery Mr Dodge s paper Arlington National Cemetery s First Civil War Burials provided extensive information for this story His hours of tedious research established the basis for which further research was made possible Thank you Mr Dodge Albitz Family Genealogy PhpGedView Ancestry com Arlington National Cemetery History of Arlington National Cemetery Thomas Sherlock Historian Commemorative Biographical Record of Northeast Pennsylvania J H Beers Co 1900 Gene Kerrick historian and friend History of Pennsylvania Volunteers 1861 1865 Samuel P Bates Vol 1 2 1869 Vol 3 4 1870 Vol 5 1871 History of Wayne Pike and Monroe Counties Pennsylvania by Alfred Matthews 1886 Kerchner Genealogy Charles F Kerchner Jr Commander USNR Retired third cousin thrice steps removed of William Henry Christman Library of Congress Monroe County Historical Association Library 1850 1860 Tobyhanna Township Census Monroe County Register Recorder Office of Deeds Sheriff s Sales and Prothonotary National Archives Washington D C North American Forts Pennsylvania State Archives Civil War Veterans

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/christmancredits.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township | Civil War Veterans Project
    rediscover our community residents who were a part of the war between the states Of our approximately 175 eligible military service age residents this project has rediscovered 29 of our veterans of the Civil War who lived in Tobyhanna Township for a significant portion of their lives Although a few were drafted into service most volunteered for the preservation of the Union Farmers laborers lumbermen a school teacher a blacksmith a musician a wagon maker a carpenter and a shoemaker all show the diversity of our community and in turn demonstrates that this tremendous conflict affected everyone Even more so they were our sons our brothers and our fathers Inevitably our community suffered the casualties of battle And in those years more actually died of disease than of battle wounds in the Civil War as the science of medicine and sanitation practices were less known Our residents were even more susceptible being transitioned from a healthy rural clean air and water environment of few people to the congestion of thousands living shoulder to shoulder in military camps together Of our known 29 veterans seven perished in service Four were killed in action of battle and three died of other reasons including disease They were fathers They were sons They were brothers All were tragically missed by their loved ones and the community And one became significant for his burial as the first soldier to be interred at the new hallowed ground in Virginia named Arlington National Cemetery For the honor of all who have dedicated their service to our country this project is dedicated to you who have long protected our freedom Rick Bodenschatz Memorial Day 2012 Download Our Civil War Veterans of Tobyhanna Township The American flag depicted in the report is the official flag from 1863 to beyond

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/civilwar.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township | Clymer Library
    hours to serve the library patrons Lillian also served as librarian Sadie Christman Pocono Pines postmaster also dedicated time at the library and baked goodies for fundraising bake sales As use of the makeshift library continued to increase Saturday hours were added so school children could use it Clymer was one of five public libraries in Monroe County and each year it received county funding of 1 000 then later 3 000 which was used to purchase books The township continued to provide space for no charge nor did it charge for utilities insurance and other overhead costs for the library s use of the building In the mid 1970s through the early 1980s Bea and Keith Kingsbury added their educator experience in professional leadership of the library Hours of operation were increased by a few hours a week but it still did not meet the state s minimum standards for state funding Bea assumed the president s role of the association in 1975 As the township grew the township government received a grant to build a new administration building and police quarters and so the library was allowed to assume the entire second floor space for continued growth During this same period beginning in 1975 a group of ladies headed by Vivian Miller and Jacqueline Schoettle launched the first major library fundraiser A Christmas Bazaar on the first floor of the firehouse With the help of the fire department and chief Barry Wierich 900 was raised at the bazaar from the sale of donated items of which many were handmade The bazaar continued to be held in subsequent years and brought in as much as 5 000 for several years New Clymer Library in the old firehouse after first floor expansion 1982 A real library once again Continued growth of the township resulted in the fire department s relocation to new facilities in 1980 The timing of this was crucial since the library association was starting to consider the need to search for a new larger home The township government made the entire firehouse building available to the library association under a nominal lease arrangement The library association accepted a bid from Carroll Construction for 60 000 to renovate the first floor into the new library The newly renovated library opened for business in 1982 The township paid for the renovation and the library association paid for all the furnishings and shelving By this time the inventory had grown to 6 000 books The volunteers and board of trustees with leadership from Bea Kingsbury were determined to bring the library up to standards With a lot of hard work by all the library was able to join the Easton Area Library District as part of its quest to obtain state funding In two years a volunteer staff catalogued 4 000 books Jacqueline Schoettle enrolled in a home college course for Descriptive Cataloging and shared this knowledge with the others Beth Parker the newly designated librarian and Pat Hannon were

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/clymer.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township | Clymer Library
    director of the Clymer Library at 570 646 0826 Financial donation may be mailed to HATT PO Box 2084 Pocono Pines PA 18350 Checks should be made payable to HATT with a note for its purpose All contributions are tax deductible with HATT and Clymer Library being 501 c 3 tax exempt organizations Books available in the Clymer Library Local History Department The Best of This and That by Edith Blez The Pohoqualine 1951 1953 The Next Station Will Be An Album of Photographs of Railroad Depots in 1910 The Spirit of Swiftwater 100 years at the Pocono Labs by Jeff Widmer Secrets From Pocono Kitchens Poems of Pennsylvania by Irving Dix These Things Are Mine by Leo T Foley Pocono Lake Cemetery Inventory Toponyms and Trivia of Northeastern Pennsylvania by Tom Klopfer Great Hikes in the Poconos and Northeast Pennsylvania by Boyd and Linda Newman Lutherland A dream fulfilled and Memories by Ted Suttmeier Skytop an Adventure by Frederic W Smith The Poconos by Carroll B Tyson Women who made History in Monroe County Pennsylvania Marriages Prior to 1790 Journey Along The Delaware Lackawanna and Western Railroad by Alan Sweeney Falling Feathers by Peggy Bancroft The Encyclopedia Pennsylvania Vol 1 Vol 2 Naomi Jewel of the Poconos from 1882 by Irene Miller Gross History of Monroe County Pennsylvania The Poconos An Authentic Handbook and Guide to Pennsylvania s Vacationland by Thomas H Knepp Cannons Cattle and Campfires by John L Moore Rivers Raiders and Renegades by John L Moore Traders Travelers and Tomahawks by John L Moore Historic Legacy Monroe County Pennsylvania s Decorative Arts by Irwin Richman A Two Century History by William H Shank P E The Indian Chiefs of Pennsylvania by C Hale Sipe The Indian Wars of Pennsylvania by C Hale Sipe Pocono Ghosts Legends

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/localbooks.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township | Stillwater Lake
    was constructed measuring 300 feet by 100 feet and 50 feet in height The structure contained individual equally sized rooms constructed of timber with sawdust insulation It had a capacity to hold 31 000 tons of ice blocks or chunks A second building housed the steam plant which generated energy to run the conveyer belts and other machinery Boarding house quarters were also reported to be on the grounds providing temporary housing for the workers With the Wilkes Barre Eastern Railroad s opening through the area in 1895 a side track of one and one half mile long was built to provide access for rail transport With this railroad the ice company had access to the massive New York and Philadelphia markets After filling of the icehouse for winter storage ice was then shipped directly from the lake during the winter and from the icehouse during warmer months The Delaware Lackawanna Western Railroad with its large passenger and freight station in Pocono Summit also had a side rail that provided access for shipping harvested ice via its rail system In 1902 the Tunkhannock Ice Company merged with the Mountain Ice Company owned and directed by Samuel Rubel With demand for refrigeration ice continually growing Rubel started and acquired a number of other ice harvest operations becoming known as the Pocono Mountain Ice Company Rubel s ice operations grew to become an industry leader for the metropolitan New York and Philadelphia markets Although 36 000 tons of ice was shipped from the Stillwater Lake s ice harvest operations in 1927 the expanded use and acceptance of electric refrigerators drove the ice industry under water by the end of the 1930 s Manufactured ice satisfied what little demand existed in metropolitan areas In 1932 one half of the lake and 1 000 acres were offered for sale for 25 000 Some local demand for ice continued however as many summer homes and cabins on the mountain were yet to be fully electrified or equipped with refrigerators German prisoners from WWII being held at Camp Tobyhanna were reported to be among the ice harvest laborers during that period and were quartered in the boarding houses at the lake Article from The New York Times June 17 1949 and the gateway over the old entrance of Camp Minsi The Boy Scouts of America Camp Minsi In 1949 a gift of land from the late Samuel Rubel and the Pocono Mountain Ice Company was donated to the Bethlehem Area Council of the Boy Scouts later becoming the Minsi Trails Council This included approximately 10 buildings and half the frontage of the lake Further acreage was acquired and today comprises 1 250 acres In July 1952 the Boy Scouts dedicated the camp and held its first summer encampment The camp was established on the southern shore of the lake utilizing the facilities of the old ice industry The old buildings of the ice company were used for the staff housing dining hall health lodge an indoor

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/stillwater.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive



  •