archive-org.com » ORG » T » TOBYHANNATWPHISTORY.ORG

Total: 126

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Locust Ridge Methodist Church | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    corner stone was laid the school trustees served notice on the society that on account of necessary repairs to be made to the building the society could no longer have the use of the schoolhouse for services Men gathered for work volunteering their services In one day the heavy timbers were felled scored hewed and drawn to the place of the building On a second day some hemlock lumber was on the ground at night which in the morning had stood as trees Michael Argot J E Bush and Nicholas Noll each gave three weeks of labor A carpenter was secured who boarded a week with each of the above named persons So vigorously was the work pushed that in three weeks and one day from the felling of the first timber the society took possession of the building The plan used was No 1 published by the Church Extension Society The building is 22 feet 32 feet with 10 foot posts and ceiled on the inside Seats were extemporized so as to give immediate use of the building During the summer some secondhand connected chair seats were purchased cleaned and varnished and the building seated with these The building was painted on the outside and oiled on the inside by willing workers The church was valued at 800 Materials were given valued at 80 62 and labor was donated to the amount of 181 73 The balance was provided for by subscription The church was dedicated on November 20 1901 by Rev J F Warner who preached from 2 Corinthians iv 7 The following originated in a Sunday services program of the Blakeslee Methodist Church 1946 from a series covering the history of area Methodist churches It has been claimed that Methodism has existed in this community since about 1830 although we are unable to give definite statements concerning the early days Early services were conducted in a log school house located near a clump of wild plum trees now to be found along the road on schoolhouse hill When this school was abandoned it is not known but as far back as the Civil War days church services were being held in a school which stood on the site of the present VanHorn house Occasionally great rallies were held out of doors which were the scenes of baptism great preaching and inspiring singing There was a definite attempt to organize a church during the years 1885 88 at which time there was a unique quarterly conference held in a grove now the property of Oscar Smith After agitating the building of a church a committee was appointed in 1897 and 200 was secured in subscriptions This movement can be traced to Jeanette Bush Nicholas Noll and Michael Argot Through a disagreement concerning its being a union Church the matter was dropped until 1900 when Rev J N Meaker instigated the building of the Methodist Episcopal Church A lot was purchased large enough for the church and a cemetery

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/churches_files/locust_ridge.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Our Lady of the Lake/St. Maximilian Kolbe | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    of work new job opportunities were scarce Bread lines were crowded with people hungry for food Those were bad times for all church improvements were a low priority Helping families in need was uppermost The early 1940s were not any better due to the war in Europe and our involvement Despite the war by 1946 our parish began to glean some economic improvement The time was more favorable to initiate new projects in particular the purchase of a heating plant to keep the church warm during winter Our Lady of the Lake became a year around church despite the low Sunday attendance in winter This increased the amount of work to maintain the church and the women and men increased their devotion to those chores In 1950 the Rev George J Jordan was appointed pastor of St Ann s and its missions By 1958 the parish population increased enabling the formation of the Altar and Rosary Society Their activities increased the saying of the rosary to reading from the lives of the Saints to charitable activities The society received the Bishop Hannon Award for meeting established requirements of the Scranton Diocese in 1963 1964 and 1965 The society involved itself in helping with many activities from cooking for the firemen s carnival to covered dish socials In 1964 Msgr Joseph G Quinn became the new pastor During his pastorate the church was completely refurbished and with the installation of running water the bucket brigade became obsolete The basement was converted to a social room and kitchen Church meetings now had a place to plan activities such as CCD dinners and the Christmas party After the transfer of Msgr Quinn to St Mary of Mount Carmel Church in Dunmore the Rev Vincent P Harrity was appointed pastor in December 1970 He continued to implement changes expressed in the Vatican II Council and his subsequent sudden death was a shock to all his parishioners The next pastor appointed was Msgr Arthur J Kaschenbach who served until 1977 During Msgr Kaschenbach s assignment he celebrated the 25th anniversary of his priesthood To meet the growing needs of Our Lady of the Lake and St Ann s Msgr Kaschenbach engaged the services of Sister Mary Howard Krotzer as the coordinator of religious education In 1977 the Rev Eugene L Gunning succeeded Msgr Kaschenbach as pastor Unfortunately tragedy struck our church on March 25 1978 During our Easter Vigil Mass on Holy Saturday an electrical fire burned Our Lade of the Lake church to a shell in spite of the prompt and efficient action of the Tobyhanna Township Fire Company The shell remained standing but the wooden building was structurally unsound The cornerstone set in 1920 was the only usable remains Religious services continued and weekend masses were scheduled at the Pocono Lake Hotel during the spring and summer of 1978 In the fall they were held at the old firehouse per arrangements with the Tobyhanna Township supervisors New Our Lady of the Lakes now

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/churches_files/max_kolbe.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Pocono Lake United Methodist Church | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    Reformed church later being held at different places the Patriotic Order of Sons of America Hall later known as the American Legion Hall a room over F C Miller s store I J Angle s house and the Smiley s home were all used before going into the new church Pocono Lake United Methodist Church dedicated August 31 1902 In May 1901 the church was incorporated being gifted and deeded with land by Mr Charles Gravel in August The location was today s parking lot next to the Tobyhanna Elementary School on Old Route 940 The church was built at a cost of 2 100 and dedicated a year later on August 31 1902 by Rev J F Warner who preached in the morning from 2 Corinthians 9 15 The evening sermon was by Rev J N Meaker from Isaih 11 11 The congregation became known as the Pocono Lake Methodist Episcopal Church Mr Joseph W Powell managed the finances A balance of 700 was asked in exact figures 631 and received An Epworth League of 34 members and a Junior League of 16 members were organized during the day At the evening service there were a number of conversions and 25 persons were received into the church on probation and by letter In the year 1914 under the pastorate of the Rev J B Zweigig the Pocono Lake United Methodist Church was taken off the Thornhurst Charge and with a newly built parsonage endeavored to go on their own But many difficulties make it necessary to return to the Charge in about 1916 The parsonage was sold in 1921 to Henry Burger and under the Rev Harry Roof the Thornhurst Charge was again dropped around 1928 In the intervening years a number of ministers served some of whom were

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/churches_files/pocono_lake_um.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Pocono Lake Wesleyan Church | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    by 32 feet In 1953 1954 an addition of 20 feet by 20 feet was constructed Then in 1975 another addition of 26 feet by 28 feet was built which involved restrooms for the first time No more outhouse In 1992 we added 30 feet by 44 feet more room and a fellowship hall Rev Baker was the first pastor Mary Eckhart was an early pastor who was instrumental in my mother finding the Lord George Culver was pastor followed by Rev Lutz The first pastor I remember was Rev Hoffman who was here from 1936 to 1942 He was followed by Rev Campbell 1942 1946 then by the following Rev Hostetter 1946 1950 Rev Gangaware 1950 1959 Rev Chappel 1959 1964 Rev Bilmline 1964 1968 Rev Garver 1868 1972 Rev Campbell 1872 1974 Rev Adams 1974 1978 Rev Nelson 1978 1981 Rev Baugess 1981 1986 Rev Johnson 1986 1998 Rev Baney 1998 2000 Rev Sillman 2000 2007 Rev Luke Richards and Rev Carey Richards both are ordained pastors who are serving our congregation from 2007 to present We used to have two revival services a year We would get a special speaker and singers This lasted about 10 days to revive the people and special emphasis on people finding the Lord Sunday School used to be larger than the morning worship service But as time passed the Sunday School numbers got smaller and the morning worship service was the largest service attended We still have Sunday evening service and Wednesday evening prayer meeting A group of our people go to Brookmont Nursing Home on Tuesdays Pocono Lake Wesleyan Church with parsonage at right In 1968 the Pilgrim Holiness Church and the Wesleyan Methodist Church merged and the Pocono Lake Wesleyan Church is here The local board of administration includes

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/churches_files/pocono_lake_wesleyan.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Stoddartsville Church | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    were hosted in homes by the families Caleb and Robrt Kendall two local preachers from the state of Delaware settled here a short time before 1813 In 1813 the Rev Marmaduke Pearce the preacher on the Wyoming Circuit was requested to establish work here This he did and Stoddartsville became a regular preaching place on the circuit The church was physically built by Lewis Stull and rested on the Buck Township side of the river It was located on the hill above the cemetery resting on a knoll above the Maples home The church was valued at 600 The new church also served the community s need for education as it was partitioned and provided one section for use as a school It has been reported that this was the first school attended by Alfred Kerrick Mr Lewis Stull Sr served as the first Sunday School superintendent and Robert Stull was also recorded as a superintendent in 1880 The church may have been referred to as the Methodist Episcopal Church Peter L Kinney was an elected trustee and Mrs Lewis Stull and Mrs Henry Stoddart both served long terms as Sunday school superintendents In 1875 there was a great forest fire throughout the region during which much of Stoddartsville suffered its infernal fate As the community began its rebuilding the church was rebuilt in 1878 reportedly on the same foundation John Davy is recorded as being a pastor in 1891 Differing writings show the church coming under the Methodist faith as early as the 1850s and as late as 1878 Methodist Charge records show it being organized in 1850 It was eventually designated the Stoddartsville Charge until approximately 1900 1903 when it became known as the Thornhurst Charge As the church became less active services were eventually held only in

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/churches_files/abd1ad90942dab4083f0d67f32df8a12-5.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • **The Blakeslee Family | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    of White Haven and Hickory Run and Jacob Jr who was born in our Tobyhanna Township William married Mary Polly Simonson who went to look for her cows and disappeared No trace of her was ever found Jacob Jr 1822 1895 was the founder of the Tobyhanna Township down the road Blakeslees He married Clarissa Winter also of an early pioneer family of the area Jacob was the first postmaster appointed in 1883 The post office was located near Burger Road across the Wilkes Barre Easton Turnpike Route 115 from his homestead which was located on the hill to the left of Homestead Lane It was also a country store Jacob owned several thousand acres 300 of which were cleared He was a farmer and lumberman He was also a justice of the peace and a trustee and member of a group which in 1852 erected the first Tobyhanna Methodist Episcopal Church now Blakeslee United Methodist approximately at the same location as it is today Jacob and Clarissa had 11 children the most prominent of whom was the eldest Franklin Pierce 1853 1930 He married Jennie Torbert and in 1892 acquired 365 acres a hundred of which had been cleared He like his father was a farmer and raised cattle His wife was postmaster on their land called the Preserve not to be confused with Pocono Lake Preserve The area is now a housing development called Old Farm Estates In his early years Franklin went to public schools and then Wyoming Seminary for a commercial course In his later years he was blind Other Jacob Blakeslee children were well known in the community Rachael the younger replaced her father as postmaster Mella was one of five young women who raised 1 500 to build a new Methodist church in 1896 97 Howard was killed in a logging accident at Stoddartsville Falls and Cora married James Warner Cora was also a member of that committee of five for the Tobyhanna Methodist Episcopal Church Succeeding Rachael Warner became postmaster Due to his early death Cora became postmaster at Blakeslee until she died in 1933 After that event both that post office and the Preserve were closed and the post office reopened at Blakeslee Corners Josephine was a school teacher who spent her time there when not teaching at the homestead Franklin and Jennie had eight children some of whom need to be brought forward Helen Virginia became a missionary in Kenya especially caring for girls some of whom were abandoned in infancy Austin Torbert who was a prominent member of the community and Clarissa Scott who married Adam Smith Notice needs to be taken of Jennie Torbert Blakeslee as a remarkable woman Having lost her father George W Torbert of Gouldsboro in the Civil War she went on to work in a lumber camp but rose to be postmaster and ran a boarding house Jacob Jr was also very active in local government He was elected as justice of the peace serving

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/families_files/blakeslee-family.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Burger Family | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    and the deed to the property states that they had to take care of Howard s father John until his death by providing for his medical care food clothing and a proper burial They also agreed to raise his sister Mary until she turned age 18 Civil War veteran John Burger died on May 23 1912 at the age of 71 He was buried in the Stoddartsville Cemetery where his grave is clearly marked today Howard and Vinnie had a working farm which supplied the basic needs of their family Around 1911 their barn burned down during the winter the fire was started by straw and wet corn stalks They rebuilt it in 1912 They purchased the lumber from P G Henning in Fern Ridge for 329 Howard s main occupation was a foreman for the state highway department for 30 years He worked until his health became too bad He was diabetic and had to have his leg amputated in 1945 Howard and Vinnie had five children Ethel May Emma Elizabeth Harry John Henry Sr and Della Ruth Della married Jerome Blakeslee of Tobyhanna Township and they had a dairy farm in Cherry Valley Howard and Vinnie also raised a niece Millicent Lucy daughter of Herbert Burger from 2 years of age All of Howard s children moved from the area except John Lucy stayed and cooked for Howard in his later years until his death in 1949 John Burger Sr married Jennie Henning on September 1 1932 They had one son John Jr During World War II John Sr served from August 1943 until October 1945 He was 37 years old when he went into the service of his country He was stationed in New Guinea and other islands in the Pacific for almost a year and half In 1945 while serving overseas he received word that his father Howard was sick He tried very hard to be sent home to help take care of his family since he was the only living son They gathered three letters one from Howard s doctor one from his boss and one from a justice of the peace Then the Red Cross sent the letters along with a letter requesting a dependency discharge But by the time this was all done the war was over John worked for the Pennsylvania Department of Highways for 25 years until the Democratic Party took over the governing of the state His job was then terminated He then worked for H R Imbt as a roller grader operator from 1957 until his retirement in 1980 John was also a committeeman for the Republican Party in Tobyhanna Township He and Jennie were members of the Blakeslee United Methodist Church Jennie s grandfather was P G Henning from Fern Ridge Her sister Helen and her husband John Kolnik owned and operated The Two Sisters Inn on Route 115 in Blakeslee for many years Jennie Helen and their sisters Rita Henning Kauffman and Pearl Henning Shultz all worked

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/families_files/burger-family.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Eboch Family | Historical Association of Tobyhanna Township
    in Germany in 1369 The earliest ancestors who have definitely been linked to the Ibach family in America are Johann Ibach born circa 1600 and his wife Mary Luder Petbrand in Germany The last name has been spelled various ways over the years including Ibach Ebach Eboch Ebaugh and even Eba Their first descendant to set foot in America came during the French Revolution Frederick Wilhelm Ibach left Germany with his entire family on October 17 1792 and arrived in Philadelphia on April 19 1796 In the same year on June 4 he moved to Birdsboro in Berks County His son Ferdinand married Susan Burkhart together having two children About 1817 he moved his family to Monroe County but survived only a year His second son William Ferdinand was very young when his father died We lose track of William until he settled in Tobyhanna Township as early as 1850 His wife Eunice was born in Hamilton Township in Monroe County There is conflicting information about her last name It is listed as Bond Flick Fleet or van Fleet There is a stained glass window in the Blakeslee United Methodist Church in honor of William and Eunice which spells the last their name Eboch The Ebochs had several children some of whom died in infancy and are buried in Stoddartsville Cemetery Their oldest daughter married Jackson Stine and was the only one to remain here when the family moved to Philipsburg Pa in 1866 As far as one can determine the family moved because one of their daughters apparently gave birth to an illegitimate child In the 1880 census that child had one name and was listed as their grandchild In the next census he was listed as an Eboch He never admitted to being other than an Eboch William

    Original URL path: http://www.tobyhannatwphistory.org/families_files/eboch-family.html (2016-04-30)
    Open archived version from archive



  •