archive-org.com » ORG » V » VFWA.ORG

Total: 31

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Valley Forge Watershed Association
    overfall of 898 feet Although the canal below Lock 64 a guard lock with no lift is really located in Bridgeport it was officially known as the Norristown Canal When the pool above Dam 29 froze in the winter a horse pulled scrapper was used to make the surface acceptable for ice skating Around 1900 the Eureka Knitting Mill was located near the Norristown abutment of the dam In 1924

    Original URL path: http://vfwa.org/Book/RiverHistory_pg75.htm (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Valley Forge Watershed Association
    the Schuylkill River between Bridgeport and Norristown as part of their branch from Villanova Junction to Norristown On December 12 1912 the Lehigh Valley Transit Company s high speed Liberty Bell interurban 800 series passenger cars began using the route in March 1913 freight runs were initiated Three freight motors C 19 C 15 and C 17 built by the Jewett Car Company are enroute south on September 23 1950

    Original URL path: http://vfwa.org/Book/RiverHistory_pg76.htm (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Valley Forge Watershed Association
    visible at the extreme right of this May 22 1894 photograph taken from the third story of Evan s Hotel The Dager Company s paper mill was located at the lock basin In 1821 Thomas Hewett successfully operated his sixty five foot steamboat NORRISTOWN TOP photo on the Schuylkill Navigation between Philadelphia and Norristown The service was short lived because the wake from the steamboat damaged the canal banks In

    Original URL path: http://vfwa.org/Book/RiverHistory_pg77.htm (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Valley Forge Watershed Association
    Gauges Related links Property Sale Rent For Sale Help Wanted Lost Found J B Horn s Montgomery County Packing Curing and Smoking meat processing factory Fourth and Green Streets was located just below the DeKalb Street Bridge It later became A H March s Packing Company A flour mill was located across the canal on the opposite bank March s was established in 1892 and moved to Lederach in 1934

    Original URL path: http://vfwa.org/Book/RiverHistory_pg78.htm (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Valley Forge Watershed Association
    building on the right opposite the meat factory is the Jones Wright formerly Jones Stokes flour mill Minerva Mills founded by James Lee in 1846 were located at Fourth and Farley The company eventually became Lees Carpet operating many plants in Bridgeport until the late 1950s Lock 65 the Norristown Canal outlet lock had a lift of 11 49 feet and was known as the Swedesford Lock In the background

    Original URL path: http://vfwa.org/Book/RiverHistory_pg79.htm (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Valley Forge Watershed Association
    the north bank of the river The mules crossed the river on a rope ferry located near Old Swedes Church in Swedesburg The area around Swedesburg contained several limestone quarries the principal one being the McCoy quarry eventually operated by Bethlehem Mines Company The Alan Wood Iron and Steel Company began at Ivy Rock an outgrowth of Conshohocken s early iron industry In 1911 it merged with a firm owned

    Original URL path: http://vfwa.org/Book/RiverHistory_pg80.htm (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Valley Forge Watershed Association
    the aid of coffer dams had no stone filling or iron bolts in it The clay and stone backing on top of the sheathing as well as the weight of the water held it is place In 1858 it was replaced The construction details for this 1858 dam still in place are in Edwin F Smith s Dam Building in Navigable and Other Streams Lock 66 the entrance lock to

    Original URL path: http://vfwa.org/Book/RiverHistory_pg81.htm (2016-04-29)
    Open archived version from archive