archive-org.com » ORG » W » WAYSIDE.ORG

Total: 84

Choose link from "Titles, links and description words view":

Or switch to "Titles and links view".
  • Artists and the Paint and Clay Club (1897-1923) | Wayside Inn
    Lemon desired guests of a more cultural bent to visit his country refuge encouraging actors artists students and professional people The Paint and Clay Club a group artists poets and writers which included Alfred T Ordway 1819 1897 Abbott Fuller Graves 1859 1936 Edward Filene and Quincy Kilby met regularly at the Inn Lemon displayed his own art collection as well as that of Club members in a special gallery he had built now the Ford Room Around 1900 Edward Lemon created the ultimate homage to Longfellow an English country garden named for the poet complete with a copy of the Westminster Abbey bust depicting Longfellow himself Many artists outside the circle of the Paint and Clay Club ventured to the Wayside Inn for inspiration Longfellow s Prelude to the Tales connotes an appreciation for a vanishing countryside and a disappearing way of life which echoed the sentiments conveyed by painters of the Hudson River School Almost immediately after the publication of the Tales well known and established artists such as Thomas Hill 1829 1908 and Childe Hassam 1859 1935 came to the Wayside Inn to paint its rural landscape Printmakers Currier Ives 1857 1907 produced two large folio renditions

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/history/artists-and-paint-and-clay-club-1897-1923 (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive


  • Henry Ford's Historic Preservation (1923-1960) | Wayside Inn
    the Redstone School and opened the Wayside Inn School for Boys to train indigent boys for eventual employment in his Michigan factories Boys from the school built the Martha Mary Chapel with trees damaged by the historic Hurricane of 1938 Ford s activities on the property attracted the interest of John D Rockefeller Jr who came in 1930 after buying the Raleigh Tavern in Williamsburg to learn about the issues of managing a historic site Under Ford s private ownership the Inn continued to operate as a hotel and restaurant His stature brought the Inn to a level of recognized international significance and with that came prominent visitors such as Calvin Coolidge and Charles Lindbergh As important as the living museum concept was to Ford the Wayside Inn also afforded him a rustic venue with which to conduct his annual Vagabond retreats with friends Harvey Firestone Thomas Edison and John Burroughs The Inn provided a convenient break for the Ford family as they traveled by train from Michigan to family property in Maine every summer The Hostess Diaries that were kept at Ford s insistence chronicle the comings and goings of these visitors and record the delight with which the staff received the Ford children Henry Ford II William Clay Ford Sr and Josephine Ford Ford s financial investment in the Inn was not the only important contributing factor to the preservation of the property In 1944 Henry and Clara Ford placed the original 125 acre parcel into a non profit trust in order to preserve the old Inn for benefit of the public in perpetuity After Henry Ford s death in 1947 Ford family and business representatives served on the Board of the Inn including Benson Ford William Clay Ford Sr Henry Ford II Dr Donald Shelley Edison Institute

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/history/henry-fords-historic-preservation-1923-1960 (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive

  • The Grist Mill (1929) and Pepperidge Farm (1951-1967) | Wayside Inn
    renowned hydraulic engineer J B Campbell of Philadelphia work on the Mill began in 1924 by local workmen preparing the waterway from Grist Mill Pond Built in the style of mills that operated in the Delaware Valley of Pennsylvania and in the Midlands area of England the mill operates with millstones imported from France and high quality 18th century milling machinery purchased by Ford s antiques buyers The Mill ground its first grain on Thanksgiving Day 1929 with local miller Erwin Smith of Hopkinton turning the iron wheel to open the floodgates and set the millstones into operation For many years the Mill produced corn wheat and rye for the Inn and the Wayside Inn Boys School that Ford operated on the property When Henry Ford died in 1947 the Mill ceased operations and Ford family representatives began selling off the land he had accumulated until the Wayside Inn property was back to its original 125 acre parcel In 1952 the Mill began full operations again Under a lease arrangement with the Inn Pepperidge Farm provided a full time Miller to produce stone ground whole wheat flour for the company s products The Wayside Inn Grist Mill shipped out its entire output to Pepperidge Farm plants 48 tons of whole wheat flour a month approximately 9 000 tons of whole wheat flour during the 15 years of the lease arrangement As a Pepperidge Farm employee the Miller operated and maintained the Mill provided educational tours to thousands of visitors and promoted Pepperidge Farm products which were on display in the Mill When the Inn re opened in June 1958 after a devastating fire and thorough restoration Margaret Rudkin a friend and neighbor of one of the leading preservationists provided Pepperidge Farm cookies as dessert to the dining dignitaries Pepperidge Farm

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/history/grist-mill-1929-and-pepperidge-farm-1951-1967 (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Fire and Full Restoration (1955–1960) | Wayside Inn
    Facts Fire and Full Restoration 1955 1960 In December 1955 fire destroyed much of the Inn devastating not only the Sudbury community but also Longfellow loyalists and schoolchildren worldwide who appreciated the Inn s cultural significance Because the Inn s Board of Directors included Ford family representatives Ford Foundation resources were quickly mobilized and well respected architects and historic preservationists were hired to restore the property For the Ford representatives

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/history/fire-and-full-restoration-1955-1960 (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive

  • A Nationally Significant Historic Landmark and Non-Profit (1960 to present) | Wayside Inn
    Historic Landmark and Non Profit 1960 to present Fun Facts A Nationally Significant Historic Landmark and Non Profit 1960 to present After 1960 the Inn became financially successful in a few short years due to the strong management skills of the new Boston based Board and of the first post Ford Innkeeper Since 1960 the Inn has had a steady clientèle sufficient revenues to maintain the buildings and to initiate

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/history/nationally-significant-historic-landmark-and-non-profit-1960-present (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Fun Facts | Wayside Inn
    1797 and died in 1842 While living at the Inn she occupied rooms 9 and 10 and most reports of a mysterious presence have come from houseguests who have stayed in those two rooms Many overnight rooms at the Inn are packed with letters and notes from members of the Secret Drawer Society The Society was formed in the late 1950s when then innkeeper Francis Koppeis entertained visiting children with stories about the hidden drawers found in many of the Inn s antique desks Koppeis would hide small candies for his young guests to find but soon people of all ages were leaving notes and treasures for other guests Today people record their unique experiences of the old Inn and stash them in the drawers of desks and bureaus in our guest rooms for future generations to ponder The Wayside Inn considers itself to be the first living history museum in the United States When Henry Ford purchased the Inn in 1923 he developed the multi building village appearance the Inn still has today Rather than making it a hands off experience Ford intended each building as a working entity Some of the private homes surrounding the Inn today were once part of the Ford complex Certain key staff lived here and also worshiped at the Chapel had children attending classes at the Redstone and South West Schools and consumed the flour and meal ground daily at the Mill The Wayside Inn was once a high school for boys Henry Ford who owned the Inn from 1923 to 1945 developed an educational concept for under privileged boys after launching a similar program years earlier in Dearborn Michigan In March of 1928 thirty wards of the state of Massachusetts became the first students at Henry Ford s new Wayside Inn Trade

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/history/fun-facts (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Sudbury's Ancient Fyfe & Drum - Wednesday nights! | Wayside Inn
    Inn Contact and Feedback Toggle navigation About Dining Lodging Weddings Private Events Planning Your Visit History News Events News and Announcements Sudbury s Ancient Fyfe Drum Wednesday nights Saturday April 9 2016 Sudbury s Ancient Fife and Drum Live drills at 8 00pm in front of the Inn followed by music in the Tavern Longfellow s Wayside Inn 72 Wayside Inn Road Sudbury MA 01776 USA 1 978 443 1776

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/node/329 (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive

  • Celebrating 300 Years! | Wayside Inn
    and beast The Tavern accommodated travelers with hospitality and continued serving guests as it grew for 145 years Four generations of Howe s would oversee the family tavern business until 1861 In 1862 poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow visited How s Tavern perhaps also referred to as the Red Horse Tavern The natural beauty of the building its placement on the landscape as well as the stories of many guests inspired Longfellow to create a new work of poetry which he titled Tales of a Wayside Inn His book was published in 1863 and as news spread of the inspirational setting for the book many were curious to visit Wool merchant Edward Lemon capitalized on this renewed interest and bought the Inn from Howe descendants in 1897 He renamed it and once again offered food and lodging to travelers of the Post Road In 1923 industrialist Henry Ford purchased the Wayside Inn and its acreage becoming the last private owner of this colonial landmark After adding many acres to the property a Chapel a Gristmill as well as many other buildings the Ford family dissolved their interest in 1945 when they created a non profit trust to oversee the operation of this historic site It now operates as a non profit 501 c 3 with no endowment or support from the town state or federal governments Although the Inn has thrived for 300 years the care and maintenance of this site continues to be tested with today s fiscal challenges Historic preservation is expensive and The Inn s food and lodging operations while doing well cannot alone provide all the funding necessary to maintain these historic buildings and lands Volunteer hours and generous donations make it possible If interested in helping please visit our website to donate www wayside org You

    Original URL path: http://www.wayside.org/node/307 (2016-05-02)
    Open archived version from archive



  •